Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo, FM springs just got here!

Default Woohoo, FM springs just got here!

Ive had my AGXs for a few days now, & the springs just came in, I just need dust boots & im all set

Anyone have an empty garage & want to host an 'install jiggys suspension' g2g?? I really need help on this one, I dont event want to try it alone & I live in an apartment, so I have nowhere to do it anyway.

Im open next weekend, ill bring the miniscule amount of tools I have & buy beer & pizza for everyone.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I'm in McKinney and might be able to help and offer my garage for the install. Depends on when you want to do it. I'm free Sunday I think.

I also have spring compressors but no air tools. Plenty of hand tools though. Jack and jack stands as well. You're buying lunch as I'm not much on beer. :p
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Wait...next weekend is memorial day weekend, ill be out of town that weekend.

Well, maybee the next weekend then.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I drink beer and my garage can be freed up any night this week. We can knock it out in a couple hours. OTOH, you may live in Mansfield... Adding "Location" to your profile makes these things less of a guessing game.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    OTOH, you may live in Mansfield... Adding "Location" to your profile makes these things less of a guessing game.
    Nope... he is one of us...lives about a mile from me.

I had a location, I guess it got deleted. Ill add one tomorrow.

I live about 3 minutes from Titus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I had a location, I guess it got deleted. Ill add one tomorrow.

I live about 3 minutes from Titus.
    Why tomorrow? You can add it as quickly as you added that last post!

If I wasn't going to be in Hawaii the 22-30 and going to Hallet June 4, I would love to help. I've done the suspension on my 2 cars soooo many times I could do it blindfolded!

oh yeah...some advice...

The FM springs are so short that you don't need a spring compressor to install them, and to get your stock springs disassembled you can get an old blanket and wrap them in it and then remove the nut and it will only pop loose a little.
    Last edited by icepenguin66; 05-17-2005 at 11:41 PM.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

A little - Yea. The rears will go about 100 feet.

Just rent a spring compressor from AZ for Free.

I'm doing my fm springs right now.

You can also get shock dust boots for $3.29 each at O'Reilly. Just ask for the Rancho Boots. You'll need to order them 1 day in advance.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Does anybody have a suggestion to re-attach the sway bars. I have been struggling with getting the racing beats back on. It can be done, but with some blood.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I'm not available Memorial Day Weekend, but maybe the week after that. I just put AGXs in my car recently, so I'm pretty familiar with the procedure.

I have an air compressor and tools, but I live out in Mansfield.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    Does anybody have a suggestion to re-attach the sway bars. I have been struggling with getting the racing beats back on. It can be done, but with some blood.
    Shouldn't be that hard. Are you using those worthless RB endlinks, or stockers? If you've got the RB ones, put 'em on ebay and use the stockers - they'll work just fine, and they've got a much better range of motion than the RB links, which means they'll bind less and they're a lot easier to bolt together.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think I am using the stockers, It's just difficult to get the bars to the firmest position. The soft position is no problem. I am thinking that adjustable links might be the answer.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Does anybody have a suggestion to re-attach the sway bars. I have been struggling with getting the racing beats back on.
    Are you trying to re-attach with the front wheels on the ground, or the car up on jack stands? If so, put a load on the front suspension (rhino-ramps work great for this) and it will make it much easier!

Ok, I think I am shooting for the first weekend of June. This weekend will be taken with replacing my slashed top & the ER autocross. Im out of town for memorial weekend.

Thatll give me a chance to get my dust boots & everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Why tomorrow? You can add it as quickly as you added that last post!
    I felt like hell last night, I just wanted to go to sleep.

Its done now though

Wheels are off. I've never done it with the wheels on. Hmm. I've tried to load the suspension with a jack under the LCA with some success, but I was looking for a better way. Do I need to load both sides simultaneously?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Wheels are off. I've never done it with the wheels on. Hmm. I've tried to load the suspension with a jack under the LCA with some success, but I was looking for a better way. Do I need to load both sides simultaneously?
    You don't need to, but it will make installation a snap if you do! Borrow some ramps and try it.

A little - Yea. The rears will go about 100 feet.
    Guess you've never done that before then? I've done it twice in the past 2 weeks and only moves about 3 inches if you wrap them tight in old blanket then put foot on spring and use ratchet to undo the nut.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I have seen way too many shop accidents to be playing around with that much potential energy being converted to kenetic energy. You are giving yourself a wonderful opportunity to be added to the Darwin list for nothing. Spring compressors are FREE, easy to use and safe. Re-attaching you finger is not.

Chris, by the way, that high slip angle in your pic is not the fasted way around the track.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast