Thread: sts suspension question

Default sts suspension question

It seems the more miata.net and miataturbo.net the more confused I get.

I drive an na6 and want to build it for sts. I have done around 6 events with the stock setup and I want to start putting together something better. I want to keep it around 1k for the shocks/springs/bumpstops/etc.

It seems like the entry level stuff comes out to three main options.

1. Koni yellows with ground control. (or FM springs to try and keep the budget down and upgrade later)
    Flyin miata stage 1 kit is on sale for 770 right now, which seems good, but the more I read people complain about them blowing up on low mileage

2. budget bilstein coilover build
    A lot of information out on these(almost too much), but I would have to run them without revalving for a while. Some people say run them stock with stiff springs and they are fine while other people seem to think is a sin.

3. FM VMAXX
    The vmaxx seems like a good drop-in easy-way-out solution, but it also seems to get alot of hate and I cannot seem to find anything on reliability.

What is recommended for a budget/beginner sts na6?

Any advise would be awesome!

I would contact Whitener Racing Shocks. He is doing great things will Bilsteins.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Something to consider is if you drive it on the street and AX it too, or if it's a dedicated race car.

I will check out Whitener!

The car is 90 percent AX, I only drive it on the streets to car meets or as an emergency car.

I agree with jrj512 on Whitener Racing Shocks. It's what i have on my car right now and I am very happy with the setup.

The other thing to keep in mind is how long you plan on keeping them. I am not an expert (or even close) but with spring rates that low I think you would be looking for an upgrade after a while. Where Whitener Racing Shocks will last a long time as you become a better driver.

I am not sure what you already have but if you doing coilovers other important upgrades for STS are a big front sway bar, wheels and tires.

Accidental double post
    Last edited by Yamahaman444; 07-27-2016 at 09:02 AM.

I bought a used set of bilsteins with the ground control kit. Have not raced it with the upgrade yet, But wow it has flattened out and feels so much better. My shocks had the manufacturer date of March 1997 hahahaha! I got my used set for 420$ and I bought a set of black track bumpstops from 5x racing, fcm bumpstops. Paired with the Dunlop Star Specs 2 (or get the Bridgestone r71's from baker for a killer installed price of 520) I expect this set up to feel awesome. And I have a bigger front bar coming in

Whitener seems like the way to go!

I was worried that it was going to be way over my budget, but he has very reasonable prices. It is more than I wanted to spend, but not by much but it sounds like it will be better in the long run.

I am still on stock suspension, I am going to be picking up a racing beat front bar. He recommended that I just disconnect the rear. My tires will be holding me back, but that will have to wait for a while. (Daiseys with
    azenis rt615k)

+1 Whitener Racing Shocks ! Awesome product and excellent service . It's helped me a great deal to know that I have a winning combination on my car and has allowed me to focus on improving my driving

What springs are you guy's running with the Whitener shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post
    What springs are you guy's running with the Whitener shocks?

He said they work well with 700/400, not sure what lengths though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissi View Post
    He said they work well with 700/400, not sure what lengths though.
    I am using 6" 800lb in the front and 4" 500lb in the rear.

WRS is the best value going, in addition to the fact that they were developed specifically for this application.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."