Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More AutoX at LSP :(

Default No More AutoX at LSP :(

Andy said the upcoming event may be the last one at Lone Star Park. Does anyone know why? It's my favorite lot, because of all the elevation change. I sure hate to see it go.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think it has to do with their new rental policy....Jimmy knows the details.

Sad, the venues are all drying up from what we once had.

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post
    Andy said the upcoming event may be the last one at Lone Star Park. Does anyone know why? It's my favorite lot, because of all the elevation change. I sure hate to see it go.
    Based on a conversation I had, it was said that they are holding out for weeklong contracts for rental over the one-day events.

It would be silly of them to not take one-day rental money vs. having an empty lot. I'd bet that events get moved there once they decide that they aren't going to be getting these long-term rentals.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Sad, the venues are all drying up from what we once had.
    Andy said Mesquite is coming back into play for next year. He said they fixed the ruts left by the bulldozer.

Who would rent a parking lot for a week? That's absurd.

Someone with some clout should get in touch with the folks working on the new McKinney football stadium at 121 and 75. I'm betting they will have a big parking lot, gotta convince them to leave islands and light poles out of it. They might even be pouring concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
    Who would rent a parking lot for a week? That's absurd.

Someone with some clout should get in touch with the folks working on the new McKinney football stadium at 121 and 75. I'm betting they will have a big parking lot, gotta convince them to leave islands and light poles out of it. They might even be pouring concrete.
    Carnivals, festivals, manufacturer driving events, etc. all often rent for all or part of a week. If they turn down one long-term rental per month because they already have the sat or sunday booked, they lose revenue. Its very possible that they are overestimating the market for such rentals and will come back to booking single days weekends again, but for now they arent taking them this far in-advance. The site is not off the list, just not able to be reserved as far ahead of time as autox schedule makers need.

As for new parking lots, current codes pretty much require that parking islands, permeable areas (grass/trees), etc be included in lot designs. Issues relating to lighting, water runoff, liability (people hooning, driving fast in/out of crowded events, etc.), and beautification pretty much rule-out the building of large, empty, unobstructed lots anymore.

Ultimately, DFW has a rare gem in MW despite its flaws/distance, and we may need to get comfortable with that drive again as a regular part of being an autox-er. We've been a little spoiled for the last 5-6 years, compared to most regions.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

bye bye gravel pit
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I hate to lose LSP.

Mineral Wells is my favorite site even if it is a long drive for me and a little hard on tires. I would much rather run there than Mesquite or Burleson or even the bus lot.

I know it’s not ideal but would LSP give us dates if we agree to let them cancel up to a month out? We get dates and LSP gets an out if they get a bigger fish.

I don't mind the drive to mineral Wells so much, but how much longer will the surface last there? Working corners you can just watch it come apart with each car.

Too bad we don't have a motorsports park like the one in New Orleans. That one has a 7.4 acre purpose-built autocross pad. I don't guess Cresson or ECR have a big enough lot for autocross.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
    I don't mind the drive to mineral Wells so much, but how much longer will the surface last there? Working corners you can just watch it come apart with each car.
    I think with the amount of surface out there it's not a huge problem. But tell you what...if I win the lottery I'll go out there and resurface the whole thing.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Anyone ever checked out Dempsey out in Palo Pinto?
    Man, thats a big piece of cement.
    http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/..._E.htm#dempsey

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Anyone ever checked out Dempsey out in Palo Pinto?
    Man, thats a big piece of cement.
    http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/..._E.htm#dempsey
    Yes, its completely deteriorated. Like, JJ's car would scrape on stuff there.
    Polished Turd Racing

That sucks LSP is my favorite venue and fairly central for most of DFW.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

I wouldnt call it "gone" at this point, just not able to be booked this far in advance. Unlike other sites that have actually been lost, LSP has no problem renting to us for autox. I expect to see some events there next year.
    Polished Turd Racing

LSP is my favorite lot too. Hope we can still utilize it.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

SCCA Board discussed this. If I remember, it has to do with Cirq Di Sole taking up many (all) of March-April 2017.

They told me there were no dates available until after July at lone star park and they are not taking any advanced reservations.

Dempsey is completely unusable. They ripped up a third of the surface and made a huge lake. The rest of it has poor conditions and is covered with oil drilling equipment.

We will weather the storm. Even our worst sites are better than some regions primary site.
    Burleson is a little small but the surface is great. Mesquite is larger and is in a good location. Mineral Wells is Mineral Wells.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    Too bad we don't have a motorsports park like the one in New Orleans. That one has a 7.4 acre purpose-built autocross pad. I don't guess Cresson or ECR have a big enough lot for autocross.
    Nope but COTA does if you want to drive 3 hours.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Nope but COTA does if you want to drive 3 hours.
    Are you talking about that long skinny lot near the long straight on the backside of the course?

I did an event on that lot...I won't go back. Very pinchy 180s and not much ability for variations.
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast