Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much stereo stuff can you shove in a Miata?

Default How much stereo stuff can you shove in a Miata?

HOLY COW!

I'm starting to tear down the interior on the racer and it just keeps on popping up!

I've already removed 4 Polk Audio 6.5" speakers... and tonight I pulled out the Alpine CD head unit and I found a rats nest of wires behind it... I tried reaching up inside to pull out some RCA cables and found they were attached to an amp - UP UNDER THE DASH...

I had to take a pic of it... will upload it later, but it's up right above the gas pedal all zip tied in place... An Alphasonic amplifier.

There's another one in the trunk... and buried under the rear deck is an active crossover.

Who knows what will pop up next?

Luckily the stereo adapter kit is stamped steel. I'll be able to use that steel face to mount a nice aluminum panel to hold a variety of switches... (Power windows anyone?)

I also found what appears to be an aftermarket cruise control. Crazy... I also think they had lights instead of visors as I had to strip out wires going up there too.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Might be interested in some of the stereo stuff. Let me know your CB prices.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

There's a Concord amp in the trunk... Haven't looked at the active crossover yet to see what brand it is.

Hell, PM me an offer for all of it... speakers included... (1 speaker is bad... cone is stuck)

It turns out that it isn't a cruise control, but rather an Ungo alarm... which is wired to EVERYWHERE. Siren, Fuse box, Pin switch, motion detector, control box, ignition kill, and some other box under the driver's seat that I'll remove tomorrow. One control box was way up under the dash between the fuse box & clutch pedal mount.

It also has some FIAMM air horns and a custom bracket on it. Those are coming off too...

RJ

If ya throw in the stock horn & bracket... you got it...

Just keep in mind the battery is dead & the engine is apart... so I haven't tested the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    My stock horn went out the window months ago!!
    I am running with no horn at all at the moment. The CRI horns came out when the intercooler went in, so I need to find a new place to mount them. It is a real let down to go to honk at a jerk cutting you off and here nothing at all.

Oh, I've got air horns alright... I just don't think two are loud enough!
    I think I read about someone on the pointy board running a secondary battery to help power his BigRig horns!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I think I read about someone on the pointy board running a secondary battery to help power his BigRig horns!
    But I can't imagine how big the compressor has to be to power those damned things!

But I can't imagine how big the compressor has to be to power those damned things!
    Hence the need for the secondary battery!

w00t!

All that crap under the dash & seats has been ripped out. Now to go find some seat bolts to put the passenger seat back in... and then to tear out the back tray area.

Does anyone know if you you can run without that tray section or do you have to have the sheet metal panels back there. The items posted out on www.specmiata.com are vague.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Does anyone know if you you can run without that tray section or do you have to have the sheet metal panels back there. The items posted out on www.specmiata.com are vague.
    Hmmm....I would think there wouldn't be much left of it once the roll cage guy is done with it.

w00t!

All that crap under the dash & seats has been ripped out.

RJ
    I PM'd you about the stereo gear.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I PM'd you about the stereo gear.
    Offer accepted... but I'm still slowly pulling the rest out...

I have to take the rear deck apart tonight to get the crossover out and then I can get all the wires out that go to the amp in the trunk. Let me know when you want to get together on this stuff. I'm keeping the stereo adapter face since it is stamped steel. I'm going to rivet in an aluminum panel and use that for some miscellaneous switches like the switches I picked up to connect the power windows to. (bottom pic on the page)

3Bean? You don't have the stock horn anymore?

RJ

I'm going to rivet in an aluminum panel and use that for some miscellaneous switches like the switches I picked up to connect the power windows to.
    Keeping the power windows huh.... is there a weight difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Keeping the power windows huh.... is there a weight difference?
    Pretty much the same... but if you're building a SPEC, they'll be coming out anyhow!

3Bean? You don't have the stock horn anymore?

I very well may have it... I'll search the boxes of parts in the attic and report later.

I very well may have it... I'll search the boxes of parts in the attic and report later.
    Same here.

I pulled the book you wanted out... you still need to borrow it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast