Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Channelmaniac attempts to build a Spec Miata

OOPS... Stupid mistake... I mean CRANKSHAFT.

DUH....
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Well, the intake manifold bolts are missing... so another parts order has been placed. Also the hose fromt he back side of the water pump to the pipe over on the side of the engine bay has a 3" split in it. NO WONDER the car overheated! I found that after removing the header.

Got new studs put in the exhaust manifold and had some cracks welded in it. Had to order a gasket from Mazda for it - the muffler shop didn't have one to fit it.

Hopefully I can get those parts by tomorrow. If I can then I'll spend the day finishing up the assembly of the engine and then start on the crazy TB/WP replacement. Once that's done then I'm ready to start it up!

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Hopefully I can get those parts by tomorrow. If I can then I'll spend the day finishing up the assembly of the engine and then start on the crazy TB/WP replacement. Once that's done then I'm ready to start it up!

RJ
    Well? Is it running?

Not yet!

Was at mom's house yesterday & drove back today early to pick up Robin in Ft. Worth at the train station...

Need to install: motor mounts, intake assembly, exhaust manifold & down pipe and do the timing belt/water pump/etc...

I did get the intake bolts and some misc bolts I needed... but I did end up ordering a few more small pieces that will be in Wednesday.

Titus, do you have the bolts to hold the heat shield to the exhaust manifold? If not, I'll have to find/order some of those too. I also need to bring the header by for ya.

Raymond

Titus, do you have the bolts to hold the heat shield to the exhaust manifold?
    Do I have them? I am sure I do.

Can I figure out which ones they are? Hmmm. How many are there? It would be easier to find if I had a better idea what I was looking for. I am really bad at bagging up bolts that come off the car. I think I have a dozen or so piles of bolts around the garage.

Having driven a Spec Miata on the street I can assure you it isn't AT ALL comfortable. It was more bone jarring and uncomfortable than my dropped Miata with the KYBs set on 8.

That owner did drive it down a couple of times to TWS but eventually left it down there until he could get a trailer and tow vehicle.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I have a stock exhaust off my 93'. I'm closer than Merv. I'd maybe be interested in trading you. My dad did the spare relocation, and it's given him lots of room to pack my mom's stuff.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

and it must follow the stock pipe locations.
    All of Shannon's spec Miatas have a bullet style muffler going straight out the back....which is a little off-centre of the bumbers middle.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!!!!

Pulling the exhaust off of Speedie Jr. for you was the catalyst I needed to get me started on the transformation. Sunday evening I began tearing "Jr." apart. All the rear suspension/subframe/ and misc other stuff has been removed. Interior is 2/3 removed, and we are about $5 richer from all the change we found. Not only that but we have almost ten gallons of gas from the tank, and a new oil filter that was hiding in the trunk! Once I see how much damage, if any, is above the fuel tank, I will know how much of the rear I need to replace. I suspect I will be making the cut just behind the seats and replace everything behind the doors. Should know tonight!

Since JR is such a low mileage car(69k), I think I will leave the engine/tranny untouched for awhile, as it will take me awhile to get back up to speed. No sense building a "good" engine 'till I need it....... As this will be a part time project, I suspect it will be July 'till we make it to the Ranch for our maiden voyage. Perhaps we'll have a party
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm sitting waiting (im)patiently on yet more parts to arrive...

I still need to install motor mounts, coolant hose, exhaust manifold & down pipe, intake, and do the TB/WP job. Haven't had time to work on it the past 3 days with the rain & family stuff goin' on. Hopefully I can get some of that done this week.

I'm wondering how and what to paint the car with. If it wasn't so dang heavy, I'd be tempted to paint it with reflective paint That'd be friggin' wild in a night race. I still have some hail dings on the hood to fix as well as some fixing to a couple of areas where the PO didn't sand it down to well before I'm ready to paint.

I guess Earl Schieb or one of those other cheap places will work for paint.

Anyone have templates or sources for vinyl graphics? I'm going to shop around for pricing on them and see what I can come up with. I'm also going to check with a former co-worker to see if he still has his vinyl plotter.

Anyone have any NA turnsignals they'd want to sell? I'm missing both up front and need those.

And Merv, I'd be up for a party! The next couple of weeks are going to be scarce for time with business travel happening... If I can squeeze out a weekend day somewhere in there I can come help ya work on JR.

RJ

Mmmm party at the the Ranch. Or a working tech. day to help Merv reach his target, and we can drool over the eclectic collection or "stuff".
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Dropped the fuel tank, and to my surprise I only need to replace the trunk portion, from the right edge of the well to the left fender, just behind the gas cap! The rear frame rails have pulled in slightly, but I can push them back out, with my trusty little hydraulic tool (Harbor Freight) once I cut out the crunched trunk floor. Nothing structural has been hurt.....whoopie :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Merv, that's sweet! You can use the clip you cut out.

RJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12