Thread: Is this a motor mount?

Default Is this a motor mount?

A question for 99 owners or someone who knows I guess.
    You know the metal bar that goes over the oil filter that you have to remove to change the oil in a 99, what is that called?
    It has two bolts that hold it in on top and one on the bottom.
    How important is this to keep on, it seems easier to just leave it off to get to the filter from the top...however I guess since I have to pull that shroud under the bottom of the car to change the oil anyhow it does not matter much. The engine does seem to move around a lot with it on so its probably best to leave it that way...just curious about it.
    Thanks
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It's not a motor mount, but I'm not sure what you're describing. You should be able to remove the oil filter on a '99 with no disassembly.

Ya got a picture of this metal bar Billy?

Well its an silver painted machined bar about a foot long...goes almost right across the oil filter, I guess I could have most likely gotten the filter off without taking the bar off but it would have been a slow proccess.
    It bolts to the engine and then the frame if I remember correctly, will take another close look at it when the wife comes home with the car tonight.
    99 Miata Black

Last time I checked My Johnson Rod was still attached...lol

I will take a pic and post it this evening as the wife has the car.
    99 Miata Black

It's just a brace for the front of the intake manifold. You don't need to remove it to change the oil filter. Do it thru the wheel well....easy!

Motor mounts are black and sit between the subframe and the engine block, directly above the big holes under the subframe.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    It's just a brace for the front of the intake manifold. You don't need to remove it to change the oil filter. Do it thru the wheel well....easy!

Motor mounts are black and sit between the subframe and the engine block, directly above the big holes under the subframe.

We have a winner. That is what I thought it was too. Billy, you shouldnt need to remove anything to change the oil. I even do the filter from the top.

Maybe I just had a hard time with it cause it was on there tight last time.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    It has two bolts that hold it in on top and one on the bottom.
    How important is this to keep on, it seems easier to just leave it off to get to the filter from the top...The engine does seem to move around a lot with it on so its probably best to leave it that way...
    It's just a brace from the motor to the intake manifold if I remember correctly. I doubt it is very important that you keep it on, at least I hope so cause mine is not on! I probably need to put it back on though for the last reason you listed.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

theyre off on both our cars. dead weight is all it is, although it doesnt weigh too much.... leave it off for the people who changes oil!
    -AJ Ngo

Remove you front tire and reach through the fender area, this is a direct shot at getting to the oil filter and much quicker.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com