Thread: Roll bars for the 99

Default Roll bars for the 99

I've looked at all the roll bars from Hard Dog, Boss Frog and the few others and would like to find out first hand how they will fit and feel in my 99 Miata.
    I'm 6'2"+ tall and I've already taken my seat padding and back rest down with an electric knife, which helped. At least my head doesn't touch the soft top when I'm seated.....although if I sit up absolutely straight I can still touch the roof easily. See where I'm going.......I ride with the seat all the way back and leaned all the way back.

I've heard from several of you that the Hard Dog has the most clearance if you choose the "Hard Core" with diagonals.......but I've yet to see one installed WITHOUT the harness attachments......
    Does anybody have one in a 99+ like this so I could sit in it and actually feel the fit before I order it?
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

Quote Originally Posted by David Crisford
    I've looked at all the roll bars from Hard Dog, Boss Frog and the few others and would like to find out first hand how they will fit and feel in my 99 Miata.
    I'm 6'2"+ tall and I've already taken my seat padding and back rest down with an electric knife, which helped. At least my head doesn't touch the soft top when I'm seated.....although if I sit up absolutely straight I can still touch the roof easily. See where I'm going.......I ride with the seat all the way back and leaned all the way back.

I've heard from several of you that the Hard Dog has the most clearance if you choose the "Hard Core" with diagonals.......but I've yet to see one installed WITHOUT the harness attachments......
    Does anybody have one in a 99+ like this so I could sit in it and actually feel the fit before I order it?
    Your best bet would be to go to one of the weekend Autocrosses, or over to Gary's house on the weekend. Both spots tend to be a magnet for Miatas with rollbars. While at Gary's yesterday, I think there was 5 or 6 cars with bars including one with an Autopower and 2 or 3 different Hard Dog models.

Yeah come to an AutoX. I have a sport with no diaganols. Altiain has a DD Hard Core. THere are some others I can think of right now. I am 6,2 also. I found that the sport while not as tall sits further back in the cockpit and isnt right next to my noggin.

I'm in the same boat (6'2") and the one M2 I sat in with the Hard Dog Sport was still right where my head would smack it during my daily drive.

I would love to find a roll bar that wouldn't give me a concussion if involved in "normal" crash.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    I'm in the same boat (6'2") and the one M2 I sat in with the Hard Dog Sport was still right where my head would smack it during my daily drive.

I would love to find a roll bar that wouldn't give me a concussion if involved in "normal" crash.
    I had a guy build me a big bumper for my Jeep one time. It came out good but I don't think it would work on a Miata since the top will allow only so much room...........
    This is a tough one isn't it.......the Hard Dog Hard Core DD with more height or the Hard Dog Sport which is further back.........
    Geez, I guess I could just get the Sport and then wear a helmet all the time, or maybe do what my wife suggested.
    Take the seat out! ! !
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

im almost 6-2 and have a m2 sport bar in my car and have never hit the bar, i have the seat almost all of the way back, one click foreward and leaned back a bit too. it sits furhter back than the hardcore bar does.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I've heard that the Brainstorm competition bar sit pretty far back, you might want to do some research on that.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

That's one I was interested in looking in to... but I don't know anyone with an M2 that has one... do you?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Don't know anybody that has one, but I talked to a few people on the Pointy board about them and they liked it a lot.

I was about to get one, but I've found a guy to make me a custom one.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub