Thread: Short shifter install?????

Default Short shifter install?????

Really need some help here. Got the new short shifter and all instrictions are in Chinese or ??? Anyway, I need to (I think) take the original shifter handle apart. Does the top part of the shifter unscrew from the bottom? I have tried to take it apart but it just seems to twist at the bottom of the black handle just before the bottom ball part. I need the three hole flange gasket on top of the tower (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Miata55
    Really need some help here. Got the new short shifter and all instrictions are in Chinese or ??? Anyway, I need to (I think) take the original shifter handle apart. Does the top part of the shifter unscrew from the bottom? I have tried to take it apart but it just seems to twist at the bottom of the black handle just before the bottom ball part. I need the three hole flange gasket on top of the tower (I think).
    A short shifter should be just a plug and play situation...

Where are you located? Perhaps I can help...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Coppell - North of Dallas

Anyone that can help PLEASE call me anytime at 972-471-0911 (and no jokes about the pho. #

I searched about and found this write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    thank you so much for your trouble. It is greatly appreciated!

If you care to high tail it to Frisco, be my guest!! The garage is open all night!
    I really appreciate the offer - but it seems like I have it in my garage with the shifter all apart - undrivable right now. It seems like there are two pieces missing from the shifter kit - the thin three-hole paper gasket and the three hole top boot to the tower. That's why i was asking for help in taking the original shifter apart for the three hole top boot off the old shifter. Still can't seem to figure out how to take that sucker apart. guess I will just have to buy a new one.

you have to carefully wiggle that top 3 hole rubber thing off without breaking it. grease helped me.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

remind me never to get a short shifter....lol
    sounds like a tedious headache to me.
    Good Luck to you on the install.
    Let us know if its all you thought it would be.
    99 Miata Black

Are you referring to the inner shift boot??

You can pick one up at a mazda dealership for 20 bucks.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Found another decent write-up!

I've done the shift boots on mine before pretty easy job, but I'm unclear on what you are talking about when you say :
    Anyway, I need to (I think) take the original shifter handle apart. Does the top part of the shifter unscrew from the bottom? I have tried to take it apart but it just seems to twist at the bottom of the black handle just before the bottom ball part.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    remind me never to get a short shifter....lol
    sounds like a tedious headache to me.
    Good Luck to you on the install.
    Let us know if its all you thought it would be.
    Well, the Miata Dealership (Hiley and Freeman) service departments had absolutely no idea how to take the shift handle apart. The service manager at Hiley said to put the tower boot on the top of the shifter after I removed the shift knob (DUH!!!!!) and slide it down into position. Let me see, the shifter handle is 1/16" smaller than the bottom opening of the tower shift boot and the top rubber opening is 1/2" - Hummmmmm. lemme see - round peg in square hole syndrome? Anyway, I bought a new tower shift boot (the one at the top of the tower and below the rubber boot) for $42. The new shifter actually comes apart just above the placement of the tower boot (imagine that - someone was thinking ahead) so on the new boot goes, shifter in place - and OH MY GOODNESS - it actually works!

Thanks so very much for all of your help and guidence on this issue. Hope I can be helpful to someone else someday. Anyone need to know how to do drywall, framing, wallpapering, plumbing, etc etc?????? I can help there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Are you referring to the inner shift boot??

You can pick one up at a mazda dealership for 20 bucks.

Yes the problem was the inner shift boot (small one in your pic). I did pick one up today from Hiley in Arlington - $42.00 and I installed it and it workes fine.

Wink

Found another decent write-up!

I've done the shift boots on mine before pretty easy job, but I'm unclear on what you are talking about when you say :
    What a great writeup - just wished I lived in Alabama to get that pricing on the part.

'94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Yes the problem was the inner shift boot (small one in your pic). I did pick one up today from Hiley in Arlington - $42.00 and I installed it and it workes fine.
    Whoa! I'm glad you're back together but, if I recall correctly what I paid (for both), you paid way too much!