Thread: Temp gauge gone crazy!

Default Temp gauge gone crazy!

What could cause my temp gauge to spaz out while at the track? It only seemed to do it during the sessions at Hallet the other day. All seems fine now...
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

What do you mean, "spaz out"? Could you describe what the gauge was actually doing a little more precisely?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    What could cause my temp gauge to spaz out while at the track? It only seemed to do it during the sessions at Hallet the other day. All seems fine now...

Define "sapz out"

Mine just said "HOT" out there...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

If it moved back and forth rapidly, check the wire at the back of the engine. If the "coating" is cut and you can see wire, it's possible that the wire is hitting the block/firewall and shorting. I had this problem on my first miata for a little while until I found the fix.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    If it moved back and forth rapidly, check the wire at the back of the engine. If the "coating" is cut and you can see wire, it's possible that the wire is hitting the block/firewall and shorting. I had this problem on my first miata for a little while until I found the fix.

Yeah, that's what it was doing. I figured it has to be something like that....guess I'll check the wires out after work. Oh yeah, the a/c fan wire was screwed up too and was cutting in and out last time I had the hood up.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

I have a problem w/ my ignition wiring. I lengthened the harness for my eventual plan to place the coils on the pax side where the washer fluid bottle originally was. Since I run the Protege valvecover now, I can't put the coils in their normal spot so I have improvised until I make the new brackets (did I mention that my FM coil bracket broke?). Yesterday, I had 1 coil stop working on me and scared the crap out of me (sounded like rod knock). I get the coolant sensor spaz-out too. I'm just going to rewire everything back there one day this week, not looking forward to it
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Still working on my fan issue too lol. But at least I found out why mine was overheating (a hose clamp got loose). Now if I can find the right metal bend to finish off my coolant routing.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Now if I can find the right metal bend to finish off my coolant routing.
    Do what? Coolant routing...are you reversing the flow?

At this point I might as well. That one piece of metal is going to be about $40 or so. I could probably get all the stuff I need fabbed up for ~$100 for the whole reroute. Still thinking about it.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge