Thread: am i just screwed?

Default am i just screwed?

can anyone please help me locate a rear glass window for a 2003 vinyl top? apparently i am mentally challenged here and can't seem to locate one. i even called two dealers. one of them told me you can't replace the glass and that you have to get a new top! wtf! that cannot be true, is it?

please guys, help me out if ya can. we put the top down yesterday and the damned window just shattered!

thanks!
    mandy

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Any chance it's still under warranty? Did you try that angle?

Quote Originally Posted by cRacKaJaP
    i even called two dealers. one of them told me you can't replace the glass and that you have to get a new top! wtf! that cannot be true, is it?
    I can believe that... I looked through the parts breakout for the 99 and didn't see one in there (the tops are interchangeable)...

You may be able to find a split nasty top down at Mazda-Nissan Heaven that has a good back panel and glass window and find an automotive upholstery shop that can make a good top out of both.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

The back window is integral on all of the '99+ glass window tops. Replacing the window means replacing the entire top.

Call your insurance company - something like this should be covered under the comprehensive part of your insurance policy (minus whatever your deductable is, of course).

Oh, and welcome to the board!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    The back window is integral on all of the '99+ glass window tops. Replacing the window means replacing the entire top.
    Yep. Ya gotta watch it when you put the top down as one of the spars needs to move out of the way before the top can close properly (i.e. without trying to fold the glass).

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Any chance it's still under warranty?
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Oh, and welcome to the board!
    Ditto!

"That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

thanks for the replies and the welcomes!

we'll find out this weekend if it might be covered on the warranty or not. it was just purchased second hand in october so maybe. but who knows if that will be covered. i just couldn't believe the glass is not replaceable.

if the warranty doesn't cover it, i think maybe i'll have to call the insurance company. i think someone might have tried to break in and steal the change out of the cup holder.

we'll figure out something. its not even our car. its my b/f's mom's car. that makes it even worse! we were on our way to little rock to visit them memorial weekend in his truck and his tranny went out a little over half way there. his mom rarely drives so we took her car back to dallas until we either buy it from her or get his fixed.

didn't know the window was so easy to break. we'd been putting the top down every day since we got it and never had a problem. it just went down just fine. that is until it just shattered on sunday.

thanks again guys!

later!
    mandy