Thread: Intermitant CEL

Default Intermitant CEL

Hey guys, the CEL light comes on from time to time on the MSM and I can find nothing that causes it. It will come on and stay till I shut it off, then the next time I start it, it's off. Happend about 5 times in the 7 or 8 months I've had it. Haven't taken it back to dealer yet because I don't want them to keep it a week to tell me they can't get it to come back on, and all is working well... Anyone else have a problem like this with an MSM?
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Gas cap? That is something that tends to fix its self after you refuel some times. Sort of a new car, so maybe you just dont tighten it enough? Other than that, there are some guys around here with Ob2 software that can see what has caused a light recently. Hopefully they will jump in.

I have an Autera that can read codes, I live in Valley Ranch, let me know if you want to come by and see what it is.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

You can stop by an Autozone and they will pull the code for free. I agree with Majik about try and 'tighten' your gas cap a few clicks.

And if Autozone can't find a code, I've got a data logger you can borrow that will catch intermittent codes...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    You can stop by an Autozone and they will pull the code for free. I agree with Majik about try and 'tighten' your gas cap a few clicks.
    The only reason I didnt suggest Autozone, I was not sure if they will pull codes that arent currently pulling a code. It might get old codes, but I wasnt sure. I know some of these techno geeks would be able to tell the last puddle you ran over with their computers...

oh! oh! Can I guess??

P2004 (I think?) IAT2 input low...

Check the wiring for the intake temp sensor right there before the intake manifold. It's attached to the intake with this big metal octagon thingy... The sharp edge of the metal has a habit of cutting the insulation on the IAT sesnore wiring causing it to ground itself. Wrap that sucker with tape...

That's my guess!
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Thumbs down

Never happened with mine. Of course, I have other issues (hard to start about 5% of the time and idle dip).

S.

Thanks guys. Gas cap "could" be the answer, as it seems it happens following a fill-up most often...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"