Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Region SCCA #3 - TMS Bus Lot, 5/16/2004

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Use to be slick as owl s*** Any body know?
    How do you know that??? Is there a spotted owl in your trunk?

Yea how is the bus lot? I also have never ran an event on the bus lot!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yea how is the bus lot? I also have never ran an event on the bus lot!
    Well, I've never run on the TMS Bus Lot either, but a reliable source told me that CS cars run best with these tires. Make sure you all get them on your car before Sunday!

The bus lot is fine. In my opinion, it offers a lot more grip than people give it credit for.

Two interesting things to note about the bus lot: first, it won't generate any "marbles" off line, so no matter how late in the day you run, you'll be able to pick whatever line you want.

Second, R compounds squeal like street tires on the bus lot surface. So if you're tires ain't talkin' to ya, ya ain't goin' fast enough.

Personally, I think the bus lot is the best, most consistent surface we run on in DFW. I wish there were more events out there.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I've only run on it once... It was slightly damp, and I was in a strange car, but it was a lot grippier than I expected. Must've been the four wheel drive...

The surface does seem to be the most consistent surface that we can run on, with Pennington Field being a not too distant second. But I have heard that it loses a lot of grip in the rain. Fortunately, it doesn't look like we're gonna have to worry too much about that :) . I'm looking forward to giving that surface a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    The surface does seem to be the most consistent surface that we can run on, with Pennington Field being a not too distant second. But I have heard that it loses a lot of grip in the rain. Fortunately, it doesn't look like we're gonna have to worry too much about that :) . I'm looking forward to giving that surface a try!
    When its wet it's like ice....

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Anybody interested in meeting for breakfast somewhere Sunday morning? I don't know the area up that way, so I'm open for suggestions and locations.

The last place I usually see to grab breakfast is the Jack in the Box on 1171 just west of 35E... probably a bit out of your way...

Map of TMS! We will be playing on the bus lot!
    http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/vi...s/speedway.pdf

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Map of Mickey D's - Exit 65 (just south of 114 on Highway 170 - Inside a truck stop). POS & I will be there around 7am'ish.

http://www.vicinity.com/mcdonalds/mapprx.hm?CMD=MAP&GC=X:-97.307110|Y:32.9578692|LT:32.9578692|LN:-97.307110|LS:40000&GAD2=2400+ALLIANCE+GATEWAY+ FWY&GAD3=FORT+WORTH%2c+TX+76178&IC=32.9578 692:-97.307110:mcdoarch:&BizName=McDonald%27s&D GAD2=2400+ALLIANCE+GATEWAY+FWY&DGAD3=FORT+WORT H%2c+TX+76178&DIC=32.9578692:-97.307110:mcdoarch:&OAD3=Fort+Worth%2c+TX++761 37&BizType=SPECIAL&DriveThru=1&PlayPla ce=0&W=400&H=250&ZM=out

It's so easy to get to - even onething could find it.

Take I-35N to the exit for Highway 114. Go west on 114. The bus lot backs onto 114 and is plainly visible from 114. If you completely pass the giant honking speedway you dozed off and went too far, so turn around and try again.

I'll see you guys when you get there. I'll be there early to hopefully have the car together before tech officially starts.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    It's so easy to get to - even onething could find it.
    I was just trying to help the new kids on exactly where the bus lot is located at TMS!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Just look for the buses
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Just look for the buses
    That should make autocross interesting! Can I drive your car this week onething?

Chassis Designer

I will be going to Austin to pick up College Boy.

Yall have fun.

There are pictures in the gallery

I gotta buy me some Hoosiers.

Hats off to leadfootjon for smokin' the whole lot of us... again. Somebody buy that kid a Vette so he'll go pick on some other group of racers.

Hats off to POS for proving that you don't need a big-block Miata to run in the 68s, and for taking some great pics.

Hats off to Kestrel for kicking my behind... by two hundredths of a second!

Hats off to tailchaser for his excellent write-up, and for doing his part to help make this event run more more smoothly than the first couple have this season.

I may not have driven worth a darn, but I still had fun. And that's the important part, right?
    Iain

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It was a great course set up on a great surface. I really enjoyed running on the bus lot. No marbles strewn about to throw me into 'spirograph' mode! The event seemed to be way ahead of schedule until the computer glitch. Too bad that threw a wrench in things at the end!

ya, ya...hat's off to leadfootjon (bastard!) again for setting the standard. Kudos to POS for showing the new fangled Miata kids that there's still something to be said for us 'vintage' owners. (OK, not 'us' owners, but at least himself!).

There were a few new (to us) Miatae that showed up at yesterdays event. It seems our numbers are growing rapidly!

Nice write-up tailchaser. You must have been burning the midnight oil last night to crank out the pictures and the write-up. Great job and thanks!

PS
    Who gets the coveted Holly's Trophy this week? :P

Chassis Designer

Agreed, great write up Tailchaser.

You guys aren't going to believe what happened about three or four minutes after you left yesterday...

trophies.:o
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis
    You guys aren't going to believe what happened about three or four minutes after you left yesterday...

trophies.:o
    So onething mislead us!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast