Thread: Blew the heater hose...

Default Blew the heater hose...

Note to self: When someone tells you to change the heater hose or it will inevatably blow...change the damn thing.

Anyway, the blasted heater hose blew on the way home from work, because I recently had a leaky CAS o ring & didnt change the hose. I shut off the engine, untill the light turned green, then cranked it & made a bee-line through 3 lanes of heavy stop light traffic, killed the engine, coasted in, & baked for awhile while waiting for help to arrive. Thankfully Jolberry came to the rescue & we had it changed whithin a few minutes.

My question: I was sitting there & the AC started blowing warm air, then as I started cussing thinking my compressor blew I noticed coolant blowing all over the road, looked at the temp gauge, & boom the needle was pegged on hot. This is when I immediatly shut it off, then cranked it & ran for like 5 seconds to get out of traffic when the light turned green. Would this have caused any damage?? The temp stayed one notch from middle(normal) on the way home after we fixed it, I didnt feel any hesitation in the engine or anything, although I was basically limping it home.

Also, the hose we used was the generic heater hose because they didnt have any model specific at the store, its pinched a little bit but im going to put another piece on when it cools a bit & fix that. Should I get a hose from Mazda, or will this do the job??

Thanks
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Sounds like you caught the overheat in time!

Buy the Mazda hoses, you might as well replace both, the fit of the OEM is perfect, with no kinks! Flush the radiator while you at it!

Only time will tell. The biggest worry you should have is head warpage or blown head gasket. If the car overheats or drinks coolant then you should worry.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Look into silicone replacement hoses too.

Shit I'm drunk and trying to type. Never do tech when drunk. Well, at least too much tech.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Try mazda speed for the hoses. I think my rad hoses were pretty cheap from them.

Oh, the contingency? I dont have it set up yet, still need to fax in the stuff. Trusseville has the set for $20, so the dealer cant be too much more.

My only concern is I cant get the hose from kinking, its just too soft. I rigged up a hose clamp on the kink so that it would hold it open a little. The temp was fine, but I let my wife take it today since she works less than a mile from home, & I damn sure aint racing it like this. So I need the Mazda hoses today, so I can have it all patched up before TMS.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Oh, the contingency? I dont have it set up yet, still need to fax in the stuff. Trusseville has the set for $20, so the dealer cant be too much more..
    Let us know what you find from the local dealers! I never did find anyone on my side of town that could get close to Trussville's prices.

^Towne North sells them separate for $14 apiece. Im doing just the heater hose for now, just to get me through the week, then ill do the other one when im not so broke...

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ^Towne North sells them separate for $14 apiece. Im doing just the heater hose for now, just to get me through the week, then ill do the other one when im not so broke...

You want the Trusseville deal but can't wait? Order from Trusseville, then come pick up the set I have in my garage. Give me the new ones when they come in.

^I appreciate the offer, but...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trussville
    Total= $22.62
    Shipping= $9.50
    Cart Total= $32.12
    I will however offer you 10 bucks for the curly heater hose, if itll fit my 1.8.