Thread: License Plate Scanning Technology Being Used in LA. Thieves now, everyone later?

Default License Plate Scanning Technology Being Used in LA. Thieves now, everyone later?

Linkie.

I can think of all kinds of unfortunate uses for this technology. For one, it would sure make automated speeding tickets easier.

But, if it's here to stay, at least put it to good use. Why not use it to identify vehicles that aren't insured? It wouldn't be that hard to create a database identifying which cars are currently insured. Tie it in to a system like this and you'd know if an uninsured car was being driven illegally.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    It wouldn't be that hard to create a database identifying which cars are currently insured. Tie it in to a system like this and you'd know if an uninsured car was being driven illegally.
    Surprisingly difficult, actually... It's a huge battle to get such a system approved by the legislature in a state like Texas.

I moved here from North Carolina. If your insurance lapsed, the insurance company was required to notify the state within 48 hours. A few hours after that, your driver's license was flagged and your vehicle registration was invalidated. I believe they now actually suspend your driver's license.

If you just added that to the way Maryland handles driving without a license or insurance... Impound the vehicle, sell it to the owner for $3000 if the owner wasn't at the wheel, or at auction if he was.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Surprisingly difficult, actually... It's a huge battle to get such a system approved by the legislature in a state like Texas.

I moved here from North Carolina. If your insurance lapsed, the insurance company was required to notify the state within 48 hours. A few hours after that, your driver's license was flagged and your vehicle registration was invalidated. I believe they now actually suspend your driver's license.
    Wow! That would be a pain in the ass for people who lets say take their time replacing a motor and have the car on jackstands for 2 months. I didn't renew anything till it was running again.

If you just added that to the way Maryland handles driving without a license or insurance... Impound the vehicle, sell it to the owner for $3000 if the owner wasn't at the wheel, or at auction if he was.
    That is criminal IMHO, at least for no license.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...