Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need rec' on someone to replace my bad crankshafted engine

Default Need rec' on someone to replace my bad crankshafted engine

I just purchased a '90 Miata in excellent shape & hardtop for $3K. It only had 75K miles on it and I jumped on the deal. Well it turns out the guys with a douche and didn't tell me that the crank pully wobbles like no other and the ramications of it doing so. So after a great deal of emotionaly toll reading about this problem, I've decided to move forward and get the car in a reliable state so I can use it as my daily driver.

I can't spare the time or roll the dice on a temporary loctite fix, so my only other option is to replace the engeine.

I found one at http://www.ericjapanengines.com. Its a JDM unit with 30-40K miles, has for $595. +6month warranty. They way $495 + parts to do the install.

I've pondered about doing the 1.8 upgrade, but I'm trying to keep costs and hassle to a minimum.

Anyways, can anyone recommend a shop or individual that might be able to do the job at a better price or with more expertise in the D/FW area.

Thanks.

Eugene

Daaamn....you should have had some of the guys on here take a look at the car before you purchased. Everyone on here is pretty helpful in that way most of the time.

Well on the plus side you can sell the hardtop to pay for the new motor.
    No more Miata

Default Yeah... that would have saved me alot of heartache.

but it is what it is now, and I don't want to ruminate in the past. I'm going to consider it a lesson learned.

But again, any help with a good engine swapper would be awesome!

Default oh btw

i'm keeping the top. in for a penny in for a pound.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check with Mazda-Nissan Heaven down in Mansfield. They should have some complete 1.6 engines.

Seems to me there were one or two for sale here on our forum. Check back thru our classifieds section.

Quote Originally Posted by gene501
    Anyways, can anyone recommend a shop or individual that might be able to do the job at a better price or with more expertise in the D/FW area.

Thanks.

Eugene
    Steven Boyd of Miata Solutions is one of the best in the area, he should be able to help you!

If you want to do it yourself, put in an event notice and I'm sure there will be a few volunteers to help for pizza and drinks...

There's been several folks here that have done it. I've done intake/exhaust manifolds & replacing a head... as well as the typical water pump/timing belt jobs... Everyone on here is very helpful - just remember your alligator hide.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Shuhart1 can swap an engine faster than anyone I know. Trackdogracing.com

Miata Solutions has been pretty busy lately, but he may be up for it.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Are you sure it is not just the crank pulley that has gone bad? If you are wanting to rebuild your engine our builder in Richardson will do it at a competitive price, not much more than a used engine. Call John at 972-235-7405.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Default crank pulley that has gone bad?

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Are you sure it is not just the crank pulley that has gone bad? If you are wanting to rebuild your engine our builder in Richardson will do it at a competitive price, not much more than a used engine. Call John at 972-235-7405.

Gary
    I have no way of knowing... I do know that the engine doesn't pull linearly 1K-4K rpm. It kinda stutters slightly on the way up the rpms until 4K, then it seems to pull hard and strong.

with the AC on, it has a hard time getting going at all w/o slipping the clutch from 3K..

in the last week i've had it it performance is better some days than others.. i'm no mechanic, but it seems like the timing could be changing on its own--but then again, maybe i've done too much reading on the forums, and its all those bad crankcase demons swirling around in my head.

Anyone up for a testdrive?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1

Gary
    thanks for the info on the builder btw.. I'll check into it. I'm trying to stop the bleeding any way I can. If he is recommended by the enthusiast on this board, and can rebuild it for close to $595 , I will be stoked.

Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Anytime!
    let me know where and when and I'll meet you. Anytime tonight or tomorrow evening is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    If you want to do it yourself, put in an event notice and I'm sure there will be a few volunteers to help for pizza and drinks...

There's been several folks here that have done it. I've done intake/exhaust manifolds & replacing a head... as well as the typical water pump/timing belt jobs... Everyone on here is very helpful - just remember your alligator hide.

RJ
    I might be interested on taking this on with help, but I'm not so sure What would I be getting myself into. How many hours would this take? A weekend project?

Pizza and Beer are Cheap!!

I might be interested on taking this on with help, but I'm not so sure What would I be getting myself into. How many hours would this take? A weekend project?

Pizza and Beer are Cheap!!
    Where in the Metromess are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Where in the Metromess are you located?
    Las Colinas. 161 & MacArthur

Las Colinas. 161 & MacArthur
    Sounds like a nice central location to pull in both our Fort Worth contingent as well as us bloaks in Southern OK! Gary Shuhart (Track Dog Racing) is in Plano... It would likely be worth an hour of his labor to diagnose the problem even if you decide to pull some helping hands in to try it yourself.

what is an hour of his time worth?

what is an hour of his time worth?
    Not 100% sure, but I recall thinking it was a pretty good price compared to the $100/hr rates I was used to seeing when I was in CA.

I am at 635 & MacArthur, and will be glad to help.

It is considerably faster to install/swap if you have the replacement engine around. You will see 1.6L Miata engines on ebay and posted quite a bit. Everyone wants a 1.8L upgrade, so the 1.6's are less and less in demand, but still great engines IMHO.

It is a big project, I am still in the midst of finishing my engine swap, but I have been dragging my feet a bit and making mistakes along the way....

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast