Thread: need an engine buying checklist

Default need an engine buying checklist

can anyone provide a link or give me some direction on buying a motor as to what things to look for. this would be in the context of doing a 1.6 > 1.8 swap.

I've read that i should get an old tire to sit the engine on and tie it down real good using zip bungie cords.. J/k... i think i'll have to get some of those polyester or nylon straps as someone stole the tailgate off our pickup,

Monkey, Kags, Scream and I did the "swap" on white.

link
    http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthrea...highlight=swap

I would go to Flynmiata and get the tb adapter, the coil pack bracket and the cable bracket, the rest is not really needed. Its just like a reqular engine install, just different block. Also get a new waterpump and timing belt. Timing is a breeze, no sweat.

The few things that you will need that delayed my install are:

the o-ring that goes on the water outlet pipe off of the 1.6, Buy one from a Mazda dealer, the local parts store do not have the correct size. You then reinstall it on the 1.8 Block.

The exahust is different. I was told that the cadalitic converter was the same, THEY ARE NOT. YOu'll need the exahust from head to tip, IMHO.

Because the engine is longer you'll have to (at least I did) "modify" the passenger side fan to make it fit aroung the intake tube that goes in front of the engine.

K&N filter, stock air box may work.

I'll ask Monkey when he gets in if I left any thing out.

The swap is NOT hard.

Paul
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Default going to stay with a 1.6 and have the shop do it.

after learning that the engine supplier doesn't have any 1.8 blocks, I've decided to take the easy route and get the 1.6 and have them do it.

i've been on the fence on whether or not i wanted to do this myself, but it looks like i'd have to do a logistical work renting an engine hoist & stand, and the like thats kind of pushed me over to this decision.

thanks for all everyone's input. I'll let you know how much better I like the car after I get it back in 3-4 days.

Eugene

Just make sure it is a "big snout" crank...serial number 209447 and up.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by gene501
    after learning that the engine supplier doesn't have any 1.8 blocks, I've decided to take the easy route and get the 1.6 and have them do it.
    Who do you have doing the engine swap??

Quote Originally Posted by gene501

i've been on the fence on whether or not i wanted to do this myself, but it looks like i'd have to do a logistical work renting an engine hoist & stand, and the like thats kind of pushed me over to this decision.

thanks for all everyone's input. I'll let you know how much better I like the car after I get it back in 3-4 days.

Eugene
    Hey, I have a friend who would let you borrow an engine hoist if that is a problem. Also, I would try some other sources for an engine before giving up on the 1.8 swap. It is worth the 30 minutes extra work to have 1.8.

Strange that Eric Japan couldn't get you a 1.8. It took a couple days but they found me one; they had to get it from Houston though.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

WHAT???? ERIC JAPAN couldnt get you a 1.8l???? wow, im shocked. theres also another place that advertises in modified mag. its the one where the back ground is a huge ass in a thong. i called him because he ships for free. he ended up being in garland! best prices too. and yes its jdm blah blah blah...

dang i wish you told me earlier, i can help with a 1.8 swap, and i have 2 1.6s awaiting torture! what happened for you to get a new motor?
    -AJ Ngo

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    WHAT???? ERIC JAPAN couldnt get you a 1.8l???? wow, im shocked. theres also another place that advertises in modified mag. its the one where the back ground is a huge ass in a thong. i called him because he ships for free. he ended up being in garland! best prices too. and yes its jdm blah blah blah...

dang i wish you told me earlier, i can help with a 1.8 swap, and i have 2 1.6s awaiting torture! what happened for you to get a new motor?
    He flat out told me he couldn't get a 1.8. i'm going to forget I read the rest of your post.

eric japan's techs did the swap. All in all, it cost me about $1400 including a new water pump and timing belt.

I'm going to take pictures of the worn keyway from the original engine when I go pick up the car tomorrow with a full report on driving impressions. He had 3 blocks in inventory. 2 of them were the small nose crank variety. I had them install the one with the big nose.