Thread: GMs latest brilliant move: paid to do nothing!

Default GMs latest brilliant move: paid to do nothing!

Full Article;
    http://northjersey.com/page.php?qstr...Y3dnFlZUVFeXky

Selected Excerpts...
    ...Cusumano is one of 950 workers who lost their jobs April 20 when GM closed the Linden plant. Under its agreement with the United Auto Workers, GM will pay laid-off workers' full salaries until the current labor contract expires in September 2007.

The program is called the Jobs Bank, and it gives employees three options for getting their paycheck: They can work for a non-profit community organization, take classes or show up at the plant - and do nothing. It was designed to help laid-off auto workers transition into other occupations...
    So they got laid off and get paid for 2.5 more years??

"...The good-paying jobs won't be out there for the kids who don't want to go to college," Cusumano says. "What are they going to do?"...
    I dunno? Go to college???

Meanwhile, GM pays $1,525 in health-care costs for every vehicle that comes off its assembly lines - more than it pays for the steel. The annual total for health coverage |is $5 billion. GM retirees, who receive pensions and health insurance but produce nothing, outnumber current employees 2½ to 1.

GM hourly employees in U.S.
    1977: 580,000
    2004: 150,000

GM retirees and surviving spouses (both hourly and salaried workers):
    1977: 183,000
    2004: 458,000

Remind me not to invest in GM
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Cusumano is one of 950 workers who lost their jobs April 20 when GM closed the Linden plant. Under its agreement with the United Auto Workers, GM will pay laid-off workers' full salaries until the current labor contract expires in September 2007.
    Sounds like the United Auto Workers have better contract negotiators than GM.