Thread: Home A/C Return Air

Default Home A/C Return Air

Last week I had my home A/C serviced, the guy cleaned up all the required items gave it a shot of Freon, and gave my system a clean bill of health.

But he said the return air on my system was a bit undersized, which could be causing my A/C to run more than it should, and he included a quote to increase the return air capability of my system for what seemed to be a reasonable, but I'd like to make sure.

Is anybody here a home A/C wizz? What is the formula for calculating return air for a home A/C system??

TIA
    Last edited by POS Racing; 07-01-2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Fis speellin ears!

Give me a call and I can give you the number of my AC guy.

I'll pm you with number....

Paul
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

As big as the opening in the bottom of the air handler = filter size?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    he included a quote to increase the return air capability of my system for what seemed to be a reasonable, but I'd like to make sure.
    Is it just a matter of adding another return vent(s)? Depending on where your blower is, all you may need is a keyhole saw and a vent-grill.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Is it just a matter of adding another return vent(s)? Depending on where your blower is, all you may need is a keyhole saw and a vent.
    He was actually talking about just increasing the size of the return we have in the ceiling. I'll have to look when I get home to see how much of an increase in size over what was already in place. I could do this myself, but I want to check his math before I pull out the implements of mass destruction.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    He was actually talking about just increasing the size of the return we have in the ceiling. I'll have to look when I get home to see how much of an increase in size over what was already in place. I could do this myself, but I want to check his math before I pull out the implements of mass destruction.
    That means increasing the size of the return air duct as well as wallerin out the hole in the ceilin to do any good. I got a Sawzall, and unlike Sammm's place, I've never been given the opportunity prowl around in your house yet
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region