Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I ditched the Miata for a Honda

Default So I ditched the Miata for a Honda

Just kidding, but I figured that would get your attention.

What I did do was buy a new OTM - an '05 Honda CR-V EX. All-wheel drive with the 5-speed automatic.

If you'd asked me a month ago, this wouldn't have been on my list. However, our recent vacation to Colorado revealed some shortcomings with using the wife's Accord as a family road trip vehicle, and with my parents settling in to their new place in Arizona, there are going to be a lot more long-distance road trips in the near future. Plus, the reality of my upcoming commute (~40 miles each way, much of it through North Dallas gridlock) made me rethink my priorities. I focused on practical, economical, comfortable, and reliable, and the CR-V fits the bill. 21/26mpg city/highway (on regular gas), six airbags, ABS, AWD, stability control, a 6-disc in dash CD changer, really cold a/c, and a sunroof means safety and creature comforts for cross town or cross country. Rear seats that slide forward up to 8 inches means we can haul more behind the rear seats than a typical mid-size SUV, but still use the rear seats for the dogs (or a baby seat) at the same time.

It's no Miata, but it drives like what it is - a tall, car-based wagon. Actually, it's sprung a little more stiffly than Mel's Accord, but it responds well, and the control inputs are linear - it turns and brakes intuitively, and it steps off the line smartly, although it's a little anemic at 75+mph. It's never going to be a backup autocrosser or win any drag races, but as a Suburban Utility Vehicle and OTM, I think it'll do fine.

In the meantime, don't worry about the '99 Sport - after almost four years and 70,000 miles of faithful service, it's been retired to garage queen status.

Here are some pics:

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I traded-in a CRV (or VCR as we called it) when I bought the Miata. I was hanging out in Hunt Co. and driving down some very unimporved roads on a daily basis. It did everything it was supposed to do in some very deep blackland mud and water. Never got it stuck thanks to the full time AWD and only had one problem with it in the two years we drove it. The port where the shifter cable goes into the tranny filled with mud and wouldn't let the tranny shift into drive.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Our next door neighbors have one and they love theirs. Congrats!

ONe of my employees bought one a few months ago and his wife loves it also.

P
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Looks nice. Did you consider the Ford hybrid SUV? I'd pick the Honda, but the Ford's mpg numbers looked pretty good (36??) and I would have at least checked it out...
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    Looks nice. Did you consider the Ford hybrid SUV? I'd pick the Honda, but the Ford's mpg numbers looked pretty good (36??) and I would have at least checked it out...
    Nope. The AWD Escape Hybrid starts at about $7k above what we paid for the CR-V, and they aren't offering any incentives (yet). Plus, I intend to drive this truck into the ground over the next eight to ten years and 200,000 miles - I'd be suprised if the Ford's fuel savings made up for the extra maintenance and repair costs it would probably incur over the Honda.

Besides, that's all I need is a Ford that the local dealer can't work on.

I was kind of interested in the diesel Jeep Liberty, but the price was too high, and the interior didn't offer the flexibility of the CR-V. Besides, it's a Jeep. I feel comfortable for the long haul buying a Honda.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Besides, that's all I need is a Ford that the local dealer can't work on.
    From my experience with several of the local Ford Dealers that pretty much covers everything Ford Builds!

Sadly I know a couple of Mazda Dealers that have the same issue......

You don't like Jeeps? We bought our 89 Cherokee at 62k and sold it with 221k... our 97 Grand is still with us... bought it at 35k and it has 210k on it now... But, diesels seem to be a little pricey and the Liberty isn't the fanciest on the interior.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I don't think the diesel Liberty offers enough advantage over a CRV or a Forester. Except maybe in towing.

Plus, the reality of my upcoming commute (~40 miles each way, much of it through North Dallas gridlock)
    So where is this commute taking you? I also have a 40 mile commute, but 25 miles of it is 80 mph (if I were so inclined).

Congrats on the upcoming job and new car.
    Last edited by joe.MIATA; 07-05-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Hey Altiain, you do realize Kestrel also has a Honda CRV, does that now make you two soul mates?

I can feel the bond from here...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Hey Altiain, you do realize Kestrel also has a Honda CRV, does that now make you two soul mates?
    That's just down-right creepy...

I would have bought an H2, but thats just me...

I can't recall, but isn't the CRV where the rear axle is visible!? I mean, you can literally see the damned thing spinning down below the body...

Edit:

Now that I think about it, it wouldn't be any different than any other half shaft...

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    So where is this commute taking you? I also have a 40 mile commute, but 25 miles of it is 80 mph (if I were so inclined).

Congrats on the upcoming job and new car.
    Thanks. The new commute will be taking me from North Richland Hills to Garland and back again. Some parts wide open, some parts bumper-to-bumper gridlock, unfortunately.
    Iain

Wow. That's one helluva commute.

Did you consider the RAV-4? They've always struck me as pleasantly sporty.

I have to ask, though: why not a sport wagon?

S.

My spouse looked at the CRV before buying a Pilot last year. The seats were too hard for her, and she didn't like the seating position. Other than that, she liked it better than the Tribute ES, which was a damn fine SUV. The Pilot has been her favorite SUV since the first one in '95, a Jeep Grand Cherokee which we kept and drove for 4 years, and 80K trouble-free miles. The AWD and 5.1 Liter V 8 made it a guzzler, but it was one fine ride...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast