Default Interesting article...

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Featur...life_after_oil

Regarding energy in the future.

Thoughts?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Sounds entirely plausible to me. However, this statement:

It will use more energy than it produces. (Quite the opposite.)
    ...makes me cringe. Nothing can produce more energy than it consumes - to do so would violate the First Law of Thermodynamics.

A more scientifically correct explanation would be that Mr. Buskis' process converts the stored chemical energy of any carbon-based substance into a form that humans can then use to do work.

Still, no mention is made of what the cost per barrel of oil is using that process - there are an almost infinite number of exotic technologies that can produce oil, but not a single one of them is going to be economically viable until the crude oil futures price is higher than whatever the cost of the technology is.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I suppose it's conceivable... but I dunno about economic either..

And yeah, I don't really trust that writer at all... HE just seems liek he's repeating what he heard some other guy say and filling in parts with his own made up theories.

"Right now, if you can live with a top speed of 25 mph and a maximum daily range of 30 miles, you can run all about town in a fairly affordable electric car."

Ok, he's a bit behind on that fact.

And is the 3rd section his concept of electricty and units is way outt whack..
    "This is especially amazing because--let's face it--solar cells are not much good yet. For $600, you can get one that produces 120 watts of electricity--enough to power two light bulbs. An average American household uses 2,000 watts (or more) of electricity a day. You'd need at least $12,000 worth of equipment to power all your household needs on sunlight."

Kilowatt-hour anyone?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    For $600, you can get one that produces 120 watts of electricity--enough to power two light bulbs. An average American household uses 2,000 watts (or more) of electricity a day. You'd need at least $12,000 worth of equipment to power all your household needs on sunlight.
    But if you figure over the regular lifetime of a home there would be a substantial amount saved.

Hmm... let me rephrase my statements above. The first page sounds entirely plausible (oil from carbon-based sources), but I didn't realize there were other pages. I'm almost afraid to read them - physics, science, and journalism usually don't mix well.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    But if you figure over the regular lifetime of a home there would be a substantial amount saved.
    I think what rx7gslse was trying to point out was that the author has his units of measurement all screwed up. It would be like me telling you that your car got 20 miles.
    Iain

I got ya....

You have to remember alot of these "journalists" regurgitate what is given to them in press releases... their "science" is whatever may be the hot topic lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    You have to remember alot of these "journalists" regurgitate what is given to them in press releases... their "science" is whatever may be the hot topic lately...
    Yup. Still an interesting article though.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)