Thread: Flywheel Impressions

Default Flywheel Impressions

I just wanted to post my thoughts so far on my new light flywheel. I used a new OEM clutch with it. So far it feels nice. The new clutch is picking up too close to the floor, so I need to adjust that. Other than that the clutch is very smooth. The flywheel is great too. First and second feel quicker, but the main thing is down shifts. Heel and toeing is sooo smooth and easy now. Just bliping the throttle brings instant revs. Much quicker and easier to make a smooth downshift. I can't wait until the first third gear slalom into a tight second gear turn at the next s2k autoX.

I was reading on m.net that the clutch engagement position will relax a little within a week of driving, so you might want to wait a bit on that one. My ACT is engaging close to the floor as well, but I am gonna let it ride for a week or two and see where it ends up.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

I had my clutch/flywheel swapped a couple of months ago, and if I remember right the clutch was the same way. The peddle feel was also somewhat lighter. Now the clutch has firmed up, and it engages fairly close to the top of the pedal travel.

How is the new head on your car Brock?
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Kags1969
    I was reading on m.net that the clutch engagement position will relax a little within a week of driving, so you might want to wait a bit on that one. My ACT is engaging close to the floor as well, but I am gonna let it ride for a week or two and see where it ends up.

Chris
    When I put an ACT in my black miata, the clutch engaged very close to the floor and its been almost 3 years and it is still pretty close to the floor. I like it like that so I didn't adjust it much, just enough to make sure it wasnt making contact when not depressed.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

The head is great! I'm now trying to track down a few electrical problems. I just had to replace the TPS and MAF.

*** note to self.... when checking the timing double check the diagnostic connectors before inserting the paperclip. ****

I never thought that a miata could melt a paperclip

I put the ACT Extreme and the notafidanzabutprettymuchthesameandicantrememberthe name flywheel and I love them! The pedal effort is pretty high, and it chatters when cold, but it's a racecar right?

I put a stage three SPEC in the Celica and the pedal effort is VERY close to stock and I haven't been able to get it to slip, even at 12psi.

First of all, if you have not installed the SS braid clutch line it is a must with all heavy duty clutch installations. Not only will it give you a more linear feel, but the clutch engagement is much smoother. Adjusting the clutch peddle is not difficult, just be sure to leave about a 1/2" of play at the top that you can move with your hand.

By the way, we keep the clutch lines in stock, but you knew that.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com