Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not easy being an SUV owner!

Default It's not easy being an SUV owner!

[grumble mode : on]

I ran out to a customer in Wills Point, Texas yesterday for a meeting and stoped buy a couple others on my return to Ft. Worth. The POS support vehicle ('03 Ford Expedition) scored 16.1 mpg on the trip, and it used about $40.00 worth of gas for this little trip! I still have 1 more year on the lease on this thing!

Maybe I need to find a nice used VW TDi for running around and park the SUV.......

[grumble mode : off]

16?

I've not hit 16 yet in the Urban assault tank. Usually 10-12, with a record of 14 on a trip to college station.

And do you knwo how much it costs to fill up a 42 gallon gas tank??? I feel your pain.

and the neighbors wonder why it sits in one spot all the time.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    16?
    It was having an exceptional day.. Wind must have been at it's back!

16's not too bad for that massive beast. Probably one of the biggest factors in me not owning a V8 SUV is the crappy gas mileage. The P5 gets 24mpg around town (about the same as the '02 miata) which isnt great, but it keeps me from having to buy stock in exxon/mobile :)
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

Yeesh. That kind of gas mileage, along with the rise in fuel prices, has got me rethinking buying an SUV as the next OTM. As much as I'd like to have something to tow the Miata to long distance events, I don't think I'd be happy with a 15mpg daily driver, with regular unleaded creeping past $1.70/gallon.

Makes me incredibly glad I got rid of the FD - 10mpg on super unleaded premixed 40:1 with 2-stroke oil just wasn't worth the hassle.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Just another reason why my truck spends most of its life in the garage (16 mpg) and the Miata is my daily driver (26 mpg). YMMV.

I just traded my P5 for the tank.. HJopefully the gas per month will end up less than I was paying on the car payment....

SUV's aren't a brilliant idea as far as daily drivers go, but they are nice to have around the few times when you need them. It sure made easy work of getting a rollbar to the paint shop the other day, still in the monsterous box it came in.

and try towing a skiboat with a miata :eek:

Although.. I did get 27mpg out of teh last tank of gas from the MSM... better than sticker?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Sheesh... and I was complaining about 21mpg from my wife's Grand Cherokee...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Cheby full size extended cab, 5.3 liter returns the following:

15-16 mpg mostly city, foot in it too much, trailer, or ac

17 mpg my regular mixed driving

18 mpg all hwy

I just don't look at the pump when I fill up now. I want to get the wife a hybrid SUV like the new Lexus or Toyota Highlander thats coming out for our next car. I think a hybrid Accord is also on the way.

This was my '00 Expedition and the "original' POS Racer!

The last Expedition I had did a lot better on gas than this one, of course the window sticker stuff for mileage was the same on the '00 as the '03, but looks like someone at ford forgot to carry the one when they figured the '03 mileage....

I almost was killed by a Ford last week when the jackass driver decided that parking his monster at the door at Lowe's wasn't close enough....

Sheesh... just promise me you look three times before moving that beast!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I almost was killed by a Ford last week when the jackass driver decided that parking his monster at the door at Lowe's wasn't close enough....

Sheesh... just promise me you look three times before moving that beast!
    Quite you can't you see I'm talking on my celll phone!

If I bought a big truck or SUV, I would definatly go diesel. Better gas mileage, stump pulling torque, relability (even for a domestic), and upgradability of the boost. MMMMboost

That or get a used Tacoma or Tundra. Helping my brother look at a 97 v6 4X4 5spd with offroading goodies for 8K.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    If I bought a big truck or SUV, I would definatly go diesel. Better gas mileage, stump pulling torque, relability (even for a domestic), and upgradability of the boost. MMMMboost

That or get a used Tacoma or Tundra. Helping my brother look at a 97 v6 4X4 5spd with offroading goodies for 8K.

Chris
    Other than VW " Two Rag” or a Ford "Excretion" there really aren't any diesels SUV’s available yet......

I have already had a couple PU's in my vehicle ownership days and I really don't want another one.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I have already had a couple PU's in my vehicle ownership days and I really don't want another one.
    I miss my truck when I make those big hauls from Lowe's.... otherwise, no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92

Chris
    Other than VW " Two Rag” or a Ford "Excretion" there really aren't any diesels SUV’s available yet......

the the diesel VW is pushing 60k!!!

Diesel has its advantages, but it also has a much higher entry fee... And if you're in the market for well used vehicles (like I was) the older diesel technology just wans't that great. It got a little better mileage and had some extra torque, but the longevity wasn't any better than a standard gasoline motor, they just cost 4x more to replace....

I like my 350 But I could go for a powerstroke...

HOLY COW!

Someone get rx7glse sober or a spell checker!

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

The solution is a 1979 Ford 15 passenger van with a 460 that runs only on 1000 octane.
    1. Fuel is still cheaper than car payments
    2. Nobody wants to steal it, therefore
    3. Insurance is cheap
    4. No problem finding a parking place - at the far end of the lot
    5. Nobody cuts you off on the freeway
    6. Almost nobody wants to borrow it to move their stuff
    7. Did I mention no payments and it can double as an RV???

I'm not a member of Team CB - I'm their Daddy
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    HOLY COW!

Someone get rx7glse sober or a spell checker!

Just wait until I have been drinkin'! :hiccup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast