Thread: Sun Tan Dance

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Default Sun Tan Dance

From my safety chronies:

Protect yourself from the Sun

A sunscreen is a product you apply to the skin for some protection against the sun's ultraviolet rays, it does not provide total protection.

Be sure to read the label before buying sunscreen. Sunscreen labeled ' broad spectrum" provides protection against both UVA and UVB radiation Check the labels because you want both.

The SPF number represents the level of sunburn protection provided by the sunscreen, the higher the number means more protection. It is important to remember that sunscreen does not give you total protection.

Products labeled ' waterproof" provide protection for at least 80 minutes even when swimming or sweating. Products that are " water resistant' provide protection for only 40 minutes.

Apply sunscreen according to manufacturers recommendations. Most recommend applying generously to dry skin 20 to 30 minutes before going outside so the chemical can absorb into your skin. For best results, apply again at least every two hours. A recent study of Texas beachgoers found most people who used sunscreen came home with a burn anyway because they used too little sunscreen or waited too long to reapply.

Remember that sunscreen usually rubs off when you towel dry.

One frequently overlooked item is your lips. Be sure to use a sunscreen lip balm.

Sunless tanning products, so popular these days, do not protect you from UV damage.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

As a lifeguard at the local pool, I know all about sun damage. I wear spf 30 and I re-apply a little every hour. We see kids every day that just get toasted. If they only knew that just one bad burn when your young increases your chance for skin cancer when your older. I usually cover up with a towel later in the day as well. Be careful guys.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Yep, I thought I was immune when I was young too. Then a few years ago a mole on my arm turned a funny color and shape. Next thing you know, a dermatologist is digging it out. I've learned my lesson; better late than never I guess.

Talking sunburns

eh, i've been working on the graveyard shift for almost a year now and i rarely go out during the peak hours where the sun's rays are the strongest. About two weeks ago i started working on my car about 7am and went on to about 1am and my skin was dripping some sort of liquid, then i remembered what sweating was like, hahaa j/k.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....