Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Im lying in a puddle of tranny fluid...

Default So Im lying in a puddle of tranny fluid...

Yeah, I bet you can guess where this is going. I got the night off, and figured I might aswell do the flywheel tonight and early tomorrow. Everything so far has gone pretty well. Until the tranny gets stuck on the header. No one mentioned that I would need to remove the racing beat 4-2-1 header. It is much wider than the stock header because the two pipes run side by side. The tranny doesnt have enough room to wiggle out. So now I am stuck. The tranny is on the header so I cant move it. I am absolutley pooped right now. I have been at work since 9:30AM came home and got started tonight around 9:30PM. I got most of the bolts out just fine. Everything has gone smoothly so far. I am planning on getting up early tomorrow and giving it another go. If anyone can come by and lend a hand let me know. I am sure with one or two extras, moving the motor around while I wiggle the tranny out we can get it done. Let me know! Call me at 817 555-1212. Or PM me for directions. I would rather a call though since I cant check my PMs all the time. Thanks again.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 07-24-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Removed the phone number since the project is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    No one mentioned that I would need to remove the racing beat 4-2-1 header.
    Dont forget to remove the racing beat 4-2-1 header.

No, seriously though, would it be easier to loosen the PPF a bit for some more wiggle room?

It is loose. I didnt want to take it off, becuase I have heard bad stories about realigning it. So it is off the tranny, and one bolt is out of the diff. THe other is loose so I can move the PPF around.

Ok well I got the tranny out. I managed to finally wiggle the header out and the tranny walked right out after that. I wasnt looking forward to the egr port on the header, it is a PITA!

So how goes the project?

Not great, I have got the flywheel and clutch in. NOw the tough part is lifting the tranny up to get it mated. Its a heavy sucker. I am trying to find a place where I can rent a tranny jack. A floor jack is too unstable, the tranny tries to roll off to one side or the other. I have to work tonight, so I might put it off until tomorrow so I can clean up and go to work.

Mark - contact Todd Marcucci at sales - at - marcuccimotorsports - dot - com. I think he's got a tranny jack he might be willing to let you borrow.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks Altiain I didnt get that until now. I went to harbor freight and got one before I went to work. Hopefully I can knock it out tonight. Thanks anyway.

Alright, tranny is connected to the engine. Now to get a decent amount of sleep and finish the rest tomorrow. BTW if anyone ever wants to borrow this tranny jack just let me know. Or I might clean it and return it... J/K

...if anyone ever wants to borrow this tranny jack just let me know. Or I might clean it and return it... J/K
    I'd keep it knowing one of us will need it sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'd keep it knowing one of us will need it sooner than later.
    Spoken like a true CB!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Spoken like a true CB!
    Nope not even close! The true CB statement was this one :
    Or I might clean it and return it... J/K

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Or I might clean it and return it... J/K
    That's what I would do!

Alright, the car is under her own power and has ventured around the block. Other than all the smoke from the tranny fluid burning off of the exhaust, things seem normal. I didnt have the center console on, and heard no strange noises so that is good news also.

Talking

I got the night off, and figured I might aswell do the flywheel tonight and early tomorrow.
    did you install a lightweight flywheel on your car, if so, which one? i've been looking for a stage 2 clutch kit and an aluminum flywheel but i haven't found anything cheaper than $800... I think fidanza was the cheapest flywheel i found.... where'd you get this flywheel?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

I got a cheap one of of ebay. 300 or so shipped. I went with an oem clutch, since I am not making much more than stock power. I have heard the beefed up clutches weigh more, and take away the gains from lightening the flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    did you install a lightweight flywheel on your car, if so, which one? i've been looking for a stage 2 clutch kit and an aluminum flywheel but i haven't found anything cheaper than $800... I think fidanza was the cheapest flywheel i found.... where'd you get this flywheel?
    Is there any particular reason you want a lightweight flywheel and a higher force clutch? Unless you're making preparations for a turbo or supercharger kit, I really can't think of a less effective way to spend $800 trying to make your car faster.

FWIW, I had a lightweight Fidanza flywheel in my car for about six months. At the time I was also working with a good friend who has a 10AE. Before and after acceleration tests ( ) using his car as a control showed hardly any improvement in standing start acceleration at all. You might pick up a very slight amount of roll-on acceleration, but not enough to warrant $800 worth of parts, plus a very long and miserable installation project.

Just my $.02. Take it for what it's worth.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Default installation

heh, not worried about installing a flywheel nor the clutch, cake. but the reason i want it is cause mine is slipping, a better presure plate will get me off the line faster in a drag and the aluminum flywheel will rev up faster and stop faster being that it won't have the same momentum as a heavy one, yeah i suppose i'll go turbo but tahts a long way to happen. the transmission isn't as heavy as you imagine, on a scale it should weight around 80lbs or so.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast