Thread: Road America Mishap

Default Road America Mishap

Lots of historical racers were messed up in this. I don't think anyone was killed. What a mess.

http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/image/46317462
    No more Miata

that's crazy...

did you guys read all the stories at teh bottom??
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Really sad to see those clasics sitting there all banked up. Big engines with drum brakes don't mix.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

That is an expensive crash
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Wow. Now THATS a bad day! Glad everyone is ok.

This same thing has already happened once in a Spec Miata race at TWS in late 2000. I was on the poll and held 5000RPM in second until the green, as I always do, but the rest of the field started early. The front cars got safely away, but no one else made it past the start/finish line. It was a terrible mess, but all that was hurt were cars. The rules are in place, unfortunately, most drivers don't abide by them, and the stewards do not enforce the rules, so it continues.

At another race, I was not on the poll, but outside row 1. Coming out on to the front straight, the pole driver took off, but I held firm, and we didn't get the green. We come around again and he does it again.....same thing. By now a lot of drivers, especially the guy on the poll, are getting angry. The third time, he held off some, so I stayed with him and we got the green. I was trying to make a point, and some drivers never did get it!

As several of the posters on the Vintage race stated, you have to stay in line and the poll driver is responsible for maintaining the pace car speed until the gree. That's when the race starts. It's such a shame that all those beautiful vintage racecars were destroyed, but it seems that egos get the upper hand in all kinds of racing. I hope that Spec Miata is better when I get my new car ready, 'cause I fully intend to be back in that position again.........and I will do the same thing :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'