Thread: Plug wires

Default Plug wires

Found this site while reading the Miata.net forum and this is my first post. I have an 02 SE with 22k miles. Was suggested by someone I know to upgrade the OEM plug wires. Is this worth the money? Thanks

Default Re: Plug wires

Quote Originally Posted by deamon deacon
    Found this site while reading the Miata.net forum and this is my first post. I have an 02 SE with 22k miles. Was suggested by someone I know to upgrade the OEM plug wires. Is this worth the money? Thanks
    I've wondered the same for my wife’s '02... With the coils on the valve covers I'm not sold on the fact it will make much difference. But I could be wrong!

BTW. welcome to the madness!

Replacing the plug wires at 30k miles is probably a good idea... As an '02 owner, I tend to agree with POS that the wires aren't likely to make much of a difference unless the OEM wires have gone bad.

Found this Blurb on Racing Beats Website. So for $68.00 plus shipping you can gain .5-1 hp on a special project Miata, which I'd bet wasn't running an all stock motor!

[Cut & Paste : ON]
    ULTRA Ignition Wires

With the release of the 2001-03 Miata, Mazda incorporated “ignitor” units into the ignition system design. The use of these ignitors eliminates the need for a traditional 4-wire spark plug wire replacement set. This new design positions an igniter above one spark plug, with a traditional plug wire connecting the short distance to an adjacent spark plug. There are two ignitors, and two wires in this arrangement. (See photo.)

So why offer a spark plug wire replacement set for two very short wires? Our initial research found that there were significant resistance differences between these stock wires. We fabricated a set of ULTRA wires and installed them on a special project Miata that we were working on. While undertaking a series of dyno tests during a header test session, we conducted some back-to-back testing with the ULTRA and stock wires and noticed a very slight .5-1 HP gain with the ULTRA wires. Now these aren’t the most pavement shaking gains we’ve ever measured, but they were gains nonetheless!

1/2 hp?

Man, you miata guys sure are easy to please...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

HAHAHAHA - that's better gain for the $$$ than it was to replace the exhaust on your MS Miata...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    HAHAHAHA - that's better gain for the $$$ than it was to replace the exhaust on your MS Miata...

and I haven't done that either :)

I'm used to the Rx7 world where power is pretty easy to get..

like the RB exhaust on my car? http://www.racingbeat.com/resultset....rtNumber=16421

Happy guys hit about 160rwhp on about $900 stuff. Not bad up from about 105rwhp stock (12a)

A Turbo kit from FM is right around 62.50 per HP....