Thread: ugh; softtop latches?

Default ugh; softtop latches?

Yeah, so it looks like I'm going to be a parts horder for two cars now. It's been one of my dreams for years.
    Whatever...
    So the stock softtop latches seem to be falling to pieces before my very eyes. I was entertained to find that I didn't even need to open one after work to drop the top.
    Since I need something workable to keep the top closed pretty quickly, I'm guessing it's to the dealer I go ($$$) unless someone has a pair they'd like to sell or donate over the weekend. Any takers?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

You can try Mazda Haven. I know they have several trashed tops but still have the latches. May be able to find a good set.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Drop me a PM - I've got a pair off of my hardtop I'll let go for a reasonable price.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

You know they are adjustable, right? How are they falling apart? One of my plastic pieces that holds the adjuster tight broke, so every now and then I have to tighten it back down.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

just3r - what exactly isn't working on your's? I don't mean to hijack your thread, but my passenger side won't lock when the top is up. In other words, I don't have to release the safety button to open it. The latch works properly when the top is down. I've tried the adjuster, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Depending on what the problem actually is, here are a few fixes that may help.

http://www.bobhotaling.com/toplatchfix/index.htm

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_359_full.jpg

Thats a high dollar part for sure hope you can get them fixed or replaced cheap.
    I almost fell down when I saw how much they cost...lol
    99 Miata Black

I had guessed they were adjustable, but didn't know for sure, to answer that question.
    As to what's happening with them, well, it seems like all of the visible plastic parts have cracked or broken within the past week or so.
    The main part(s) in question would be some semi-cylindrical plastic bits with a flat facing on one edge. 3 of the 4 of these are broken to some extent. I asked about one other piece while at Pennington: a pyramid-shaped sheath (for lack of a better word) that fits between a point on the clamp and the concave receiving point on the windshield surround. One of these fell off a bit more than a week ago, and the other is about to do so. All are small pieces and no doubt minor, but I'm concerned nonetheless.
    Maybe I'm overreacting somewhat, but at least with an additional pair of latches I'll get the chance to fiddle with the older ones to see how they work. Everything is a learning opportunity, after all.
    Thanks for the help, guys!
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Default you know you're new when...

I headed out to Cleburne to check out a black '96 for a friend. I thought at the time that I should examine the latches to get a feel for what they should look and act like.
    Sure enough, I've now learned that all I actually need is a plastic piece that clips into the inside of the latch. Also learned was that I should lose the recently acquired habit of zipping up the window before closing the top.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Depending on what the problem actually is, here are a few fixes that may help.

http://www.bobhotaling.com/toplatchfix/index.htm

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...0_359_full.jpg
    Thanks, that's what I need to do. Drivers side no longer locks.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r
    Also learned was that I should lose the recently acquired habit of zipping up the window before closing the top.
    You should zip it before latching. Puts less stress on the zipper. Raise, Zip, Latch. Unlatch, Unzip, Drop.

I've got bunches of them.......$15 ea.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'