Thread: dlp projector: good?

Default dlp projector: good?

This looks like a good deal. Someone with knowledge of DLP projectors talk me out of this or into this; I can imagine GT4 racing, movies, Party Poker and computing theater style:

http://dealmac.com/deals/Refurbished...ed-/92616.html
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Honestly thats not a bad deal. If you are planning to hook up a computer though the resolution is lacking for some people but that depends on your viewing taste. Its 200 bucks cheaper than a new one from bestbuy or other outlets, but that comes with only a 90 day warranty and 15 days cash back. Like I posted earlier, the best thing to do is see it in action. Many of the theatre depatrments in the stores have some of these setup so you can plant yourself on a couch and see. Thats gonna be the best thing to do so you know you like its output. Its not the only one InFocus offers as refurbished so there might be a different one you like better that you can get a similar deal on.

Link

Being as I work for the company that makes the DLP™... not a bad deal. Only short coming I see is that it doesn't appear to have any HD inputs (DVI, etc). Are you wanting to project HDTV at some point?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I would like to project HD. S-video input not good enough?
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Does the room need to be pretty dark for this to work right?

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    I would like to project HD. S-video input not good enough?
    No...unfortunetly not for HD. You'd like a projector to at least able to accept component or DVI inputs for the optimum HD signal.

ccage has a nice projector DLP system... perhaps he'll chime in soon with his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    Not necessarily, but it helps. Especially if you'll be doing the home theater angle.

Quote Originally Posted by InFocus
    Video Compatibility: NTSC, PAL, SECAM, EDTV, HDTV (1080i, 720p, and 480p RGBHV)
    It doesnt have the DVI input but can do HDTV via the S-video inputs. As bean said though it will not be an optimal signal. The darkness of the room depends also on the brightness of the projector. 1100 lumens is not bad, but for optimal viewing a reflective projector screen or special paint and some dimming of the room will be necessary.
    Last edited by wrxmr2eater; 08-04-2005 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    The one's we buy here at work are 1800 lummens which work pretty well in the bright lights. But you want to dim the lights anyway for a good movie...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I think the DLP is great! The DLP screen at Cinemark Legacy is nice and my father works for TI and got borrow a projector a few times and I was impressed comparing it to some other nice projectors I've seen in home theaters.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Actually, my setup is one of the new generation of LCD projectors. FWIW I bought based pretty much on what my eyes told me vs. what the specs said. OTOH, the specs for my projector are pretty decent:

Sony VPL-Hs20 Review

It's 1400 lumens w/1300:1 contrast.

They're right when they tell you that the screen is as important as the projector if contrast is a concern for you -- which it is if you're planning on TV/movies as the prime use of the equipment. My screen ran about $1500, and moving screens (retractable, etc.) can cost much more.

I agree that I wouldn't bother with anything that doesn't have component (or at least HDMI) inputs. S-Video won't do HDTV in any way you'll be happy with.

Another concern is "upsampling" -- how non-HD signals look. Many units (projectors and TVs) that look great in HD look pretty bad with normal signals, and even though DirecTV is scheduled to up their HD content significantly this coming year, you're still going to be watching a ton of normal stuff.

I think the big concern is that even "cheap" projectors are going to be a significant purchase, so I'd be really careful buying used or refurbished just to save a few hundred bucks. Heck, the bulbs for most of these things cost more than that, so in the long run that couple hundred bucks isn't gonna mean much. I'd shop for something that you know is going to do the job.

If it matters, the way I went about it was to first eliminate all the projectors that wouldn't project the screen size I wanted at the distance I had available in the room. Then I ruled out anything that didn't have component, HDMI, VGA, composite, and S-video inputs. (I wanted to be able to run anything through it.) Then I found places that carry them and actually went and LOOKED at the installations. I pretty much started by sitting at the distance I intended (about 18' for me) and looked at picture quality, both HD, DVD, and standard. Then I walked toward the screen and stopped when I could see serious pixelation. Then I'd run some high contrast video (movies with lots of black on the screen) and watch the projector in all available modes with the room light and dark.

In the end I ended up with the one above.

Hope this helps some.

Chuck

Excellent advice/review ccage... I really want to see your set up some time! :cool:

It looks like bigDstars might be trying to do something a little more... basic... than what you have. Your setup cost 10 times what stars is apparently looking to spend, so I'm guessing he's gonna have to either:
    • lower his expectations, or
    • raise is budget pretty significantly
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)