Thread: VW Passat Speedo Problems...

Talking VW Passat Speedo Problems...

As I was discussing with some of the fellas over lunch today, the speedo in my Passat was going haywire last night. This morning it just fell dead. The digital odometer still displayed but didn't register distance traveled.

The speedo on this car is both electronic and mechanical. Exiting the tranny hump, there is a small port in which a speed sensor plugs into. Inside the port are small plastic worm gears that turn with the tranny and turn a gizmo inside the sensor. The sensor then sends the signal to the ECU which runs the speedo, odo, door sensors (auto-locking doors at 15kmph) and other ECU functions (like avg speed and fuel consumption displays).

Replacing the sensor will be a royal pain but at least it will be inexpensive.

I will, however, be picking up the Bentley manual on CD... the Miata books are dirt cheap compared to these bastards!

Hope it turns out to be a TCB fix, but it doesn't sound like it. Good luck.

This isn't to dis your Passat (it's a sweet ride), but why do they have so many little problems. I'd love a Passat wagon, but I concerned about its reliability.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Hope it turns out to be a TCB fix, but it doesn't sound like it. Good luck.

This isn't to dis your Passat (it's a sweet ride), but why do they have so many little problems. I'd love a Passat wagon, but I concerned about its reliability.
    I definetly love this car... but it will sometimes try one's patience.

Thankfully, this time, it is an easy* TCB fix.

(*Easy as in not difficult to do but akward to get to...)

Right now I'm having a friend score me a copy of the Bentley manual... the end all be all of manuals for the enthusiast of these cars.

I myself am looking forward to the newest body style variants (wagons) coming out later this year or next... I think they are ultra sexy! I'd love to replace my current B5 with the B6... perhaps with a TDi, 4-Motion, my current set of BBS's, and a mild spring set... oohhh... if only!

I forgot to add...

Overall, though, it's been a reliable car. A couple of recalls for lower control arms and a wheel well liner but not much else. The 30V V6 has been around for a while in the older Audi's... I believe the motor itself bowed in the first A4's (95ish) and perhaps earlier.

I've had a couple of vacuum line problems and the coolant reserve tank cracked after 100000 some odd miles. I wouldn't be suprised to see this motor hit 200K if not more.

Did'ya get this taken care of? How'd it work out?

C

Quote Originally Posted by ccage

C
    Was a fire extinguisher used in the repair?

Quote Originally Posted by ccage

C
    I've got both a tranny speed and engine speed sensor on order... both for under a bill. Getting to them will be involved but it should just be plug and play. In the meantime, I'm going to be checking for any rubbing/shorts on the audio power wires coming through the firewall. That might be what's causing a short...