Thread: Autoblog: Ticket Quota for Cops in Pennsylvania

Default Autoblog: Ticket Quota for Cops in Pennsylvania

From Autoblog today:

Quote Originally Posted by Autoblog
    Ticket quota for cops in Pennsylvania

Posted Aug 15, 2005, 8:00 AM ET by John Neff
    Related entries: Trends

We all have our suspicions about the police employing a ticket quota in order to boost revenue. I’ve even heard through a friend of a cop that each day of the week is devoted to ticketing a different type of vehicle. Wednesday, for instance, is white minivan day. TheNewspaper.com has an article posted about the Pennsylvania State Police in which it claims that not only does a quota exist, but also if a trooper fails to meet it he/she is punished and it’s the department’s official policy to deny a quota’s existence. The article even describes a situation where a trooper is reprimanded for having too many motorist assists versus citations. It’s utterly reprehensible when law enforcement is twisted from being a public service to a for-profit institution.

F.Y.I. - The arguably worst speed trap in the U.S. used to reside in my home state of Ohio in a little burg called New Rome with a population of 60 that employed 14 cops. It even has its own Wikipedia definition.

[Thanks Richard for the link]

Read Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments [14]
    Chuck

Yeah, I read that on The Newpaper.com the other day. Check out this article about how Cali is going to use $5 million in government money to ticket "modified" cars!

California traffic Nazis
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...