Thread: XM radio questions

Default XM radio questions

I'd like to look into getting XM radio for the CR-V, and also a portable player I can use in the office. Anyone familiar with what I would need to do to activate XM radio on the factory receiver? The headunit has an XM button, and XM radio is a factory option on the truck, but I wasn't willing to pay the $500+ (!!!) that the dealer wanted to charge me to activate it.

Can I buy XM service and use multiple receivers on the same account, i.e., use it on the truck's headunit and on a separate portable player without having to pay two monthly service fees?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Can I buy XM service and use multiple receivers on the same account, i.e., use it on the truck's headunit and on a separate portable player without having to pay two monthly service fees?
    The last time I looked, they charge per receiver. I think there is a small discount for multiple receivers, but not much. That is why the docking station configuration is so popular. You buy a package with one receiver, a car dock, a home component dock, and a boom box with a dock for your desk.

I thought that might be the case.

That's a pisser - I like the idea of not cluttering up the CR-V with mounts for an external receiver (since the OEM headunit already has one, apparently), but I'd really like a portable unit I can plug some headphones into for work. I spend a lot of hours every day staring at parts on a computer screen, and a little music/talk/etc. would be nice.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I spend a lot of hours every day staring at parts on a computer screen, and a little music/talk/etc. would be nice.
    With XM can you buy Internet access only for $7.99 a month. You can sign-up for a free 3-day trial at their website with only an email address. I'm considering signing up myself for work access.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    With XM can you buy Internet access only for $7.99 a month. You can sign-up for a free 3-day trial at their website with only an email address. I'm considering signing up myself for work access.
    No internet radio broadcasts allowed at work.
    Iain

No internet radio broadcasts allowed at work.
    Ahhhhhh welcome to corporate America!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Ahhhhhh welcome to corporate America!
    Might I suggest a Dell DJ? $2-300

Rhapsody To Go is $14.99/month and allows you to listen to the music selection from 3 computers and 2 portable devices...

Do you have aux-in inputs on the stereo in the CR-V?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'd like to look into getting XM radio for the CR-V, and also a portable player I can use in the office. Anyone familiar with what I would need to do to activate XM radio on the factory receiver? The headunit has an XM button, and XM radio is a factory option on the truck, but I wasn't willing to pay the $500+ (!!!) that the dealer wanted to charge me to activate it.

Is the $500 for the black box containing the XM receiver, or just for activation of service? Usually XM only charges a small fee for activation.

As far as the "catch all" portables, there's a new, smaller version of the Roady coming out soon called the Roady XT:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/porta...act-116658.php

It (as well as the currently-available Roady2 have built in FM modulators.

One thing to remember is that you're going to need a shot at the satellites with the antenna. I don't have a portable -- just the Alpine head unit w/it built in -- so I can't speak to it, but I saw a friend using the early Roady inside with some kind of external antenna with an extender wire. It's not a big deal if you're near a window, but if you're in the middle of a cube farm it's something to think about.

Hope that helps.

C

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Might I suggest a Dell DJ? $2-300

Rhapsody To Go is $14.99/month and allows you to listen to the music selection from 3 computers and 2 portable devices...

Do you have aux-in inputs on the stereo in the CR-V?
    Honestly, I don't know if the CR-V headunit has aux-in inputs or not. Certainly nothing on the front of the unit.

I'm not looking for a way to play MP3s or anything like that at work - I don't own an ipod, nor do I have any interest in one. I'm lazy, and don't have the time or desire to burn thousands of tracks to an ipod or any other media storage device. I just want pre-packaged entertainment, music, and news broadcasts piped into my ears with minimal fuss and commercials.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Is the $500 for the black box containing the XM receiver, or just for activation of service? Usually XM only charges a small fee for activation.
    That's a good question. I assumed it was pure dealer profit charged for the "convenience" of having the service hooked up from the moment I drove the truck off the lot. I'll have to check into whether the headunit in the vehicle actually has XM receival capability, or if in reality it is just a pre-set button to activate a separate receiver unit... one that I didn't buy from Honda.
    Iain

I'm not looking for a way to play MP3s or anything like that at work - I don't own an ipod, nor do I have any interest in one. I'm lazy, and don't have the time or desire to burn thousands of tracks to an ipod or any other media storage device. I just want pre-packaged entertainment, music, and news broadcasts piped into my ears with minimal fuss and commercials.
    I'm kinda a fan of both, but I totally understand where you're coming from. It's great to click over to the 90's channel, 20 on 20, or CNN and just veg when you're stuck in traffic. There are so many channels that there's generally something for whatever mood you're in.

C