Thread: Nissan GTR (Skyline) Prototype Revealed

Default Nissan GTR (Skyline) Prototype Revealed

The new version of the all-wheel-drive track star, the boss proclaimed, was being developed from the outset to include a left-hand drive edition for offer to export markets.

What we now know for sure is that those export markets will include America for the first time. Given the expected price point north of $70,000, the 2008 Skyline is likely to be badged as an Infiniti and the name is not set in stone. Thanks to video games and the import tuner craze the Skyline GT-R name has strong recognition and value in America, despite the lack of an official presence, so it should figure prominently in the strategy.

What will we get when it arrives? After a six-year buildup, it had better be good, and Nissan knows it. While still being coy in public about mechanical specification, the company will have to deliver on Ghosn’s earlier promises of “around 400 hp” and “top level driving performance.” Latest estimates move the power target north to 450 or even 500 hp, with speculation centering on either a twin-turbo variation of the current 3.5-liter V6 as found in the 350Z and Infiniti G35, or a version of the Infiniti 4.5 liter V8.

For now, officially, all Nissan will say is this, from Carlos Tavares, executive vice president supervising design and product planning: “GTR is so important for Nissan because it is at the roots of Nissan. We’re focused on performance and we will deliver accordingly. We don’t want to disappoint our customers. We will have measurable performance numbers that will delight our fans.”

The interesting question is: how will Honda and Toyota respond? V10 Supra? V8 NSX? Things are about to get interesting!

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 10-19-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Front end is fugly. I like the rest of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The interesting question is: how will Honda and Toyota respond? V10 Supra? V8 NSX? Things are about to get interesting!

S.
    Things are about to get really really expensive.
    Last edited by sammm; 10-19-2005 at 12:15 PM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

The rear looks nice, but the rest looks like
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Things are about to get really really expensive.
    Amen, brother. ::Calvin::

If I had $70k to spend on a car, it would be this one:

Of course, I don't have even half that, so I'll just

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Amen, brother. ::Calvin::

If I had $70k to spend on a car, it would be this one....Of course, I don't have even half that, so I'll just

S.
    Come one now... I thought all attorneys bring in money by the truck load.. at least thats what the media wants us to believe (in other words, its all Bean's fault ).

When you think of it as a Japanese muscle car, it's kind of a cool design -- even the nose. Think more GTO and less Maxima...

C