Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drove an NC today!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Drove an NC today!

POS and I went back down to Hiley Mazda in Hurst after finding out they had some NC's in stock. They have 4 of them. A copper-red, a winning-blue, a silver and a Red S/E (#82 of 3500). We spoke with Melvin Smith (Assistant Sales Manager- [email protected]) and he took good care of us. (Thanks again Melvin!) Initially he told us all 4 of the cars we sold so we couldn't drive one which is understandable. He came back outside a bit later and handed me the key to the winning-blue model after talking it over with the sales manager. Very nice!

After a short drive, I can say I like the car. The car is taller so you feel like you're really 'deep' inside the car. It feels very solid and the factory dual-exhaust has a nice note (could be a bit louder) to it. The cabin seems bigger and there is more leg room than in the NB's. Seat backs have good bolster support and the seat bottoms could use a bit more IMHO. Headroom is still an issue (for me at least) as my head brushes the inside top panel. Controls are good and easy to reach. The new top design is very cool and stows away easily behind the seats. Plenty of pep, a smooth short-throw gearbox. ABS brakes are standard on all models. I like the 5-spoke 16" wheels on the Touring package..the one we drove had the multi-spoke 17"s. It handled and stuck to the road nicely. Trunk looks deeper, but skinnier from front-to-back. Mazda still hasn't figured out the front license plate bracket with screws just waiting to poke holes in the nose of the car.

Sorry not sure why my camera phone was in black & white mode...........

This was a red & Black SE very Nice!

Nice, I'm jealous.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

It probably rides nice, but with the skinny appearance of the tires and the gaps, this is what I thought of first.

I'd like to see it in autocross trim.

I know they are 205/45/17 but with 17" rims 205 widths appear to be small in perspective. Perhaps it was the fine sepia photographs

POS, that's a pretty nice camera phone.

Sepia rulz!

I've gotta go drive one soon.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Talking

It was a nice driving car, felt very solid. The one lever top is nothing but cool! The controls were all laid out very logically, and the oil pressure gauge is no longer a dummy indicator it's the real deal just like the early NA's had! We drove a six speed the shifter felt like it has a slightly shorter throw than the NB's, and reverse has moved, but the car now has a reverse lockout!

Thanks again Melvin!

More Pictures!

Glad to hear the car drives good. How soon do you think we will see one at an autox event?
    No more Miata

Well if they had a yellow/tan or a red/tan we would be there driving one away but alas they have neither!!!!!!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IMVivid
    Well if they had a yellow/tan or a red/tan we would be there driving one away but alas they have neither!!!!!!
    You don't want a sepia one?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Default Greetings from Hiley Mazda

Just wanted to say hello, and let whomever know who to contact.
    We do have a few orders not spoken for,so contact us and we can get you the info.
    attention:IMVivid, yes you can get a Copper Red/Tan leather is available..
    so let us know,okay?

thanks for all your time,

Jack Williams (Internet Sales Manager)
    Melvin Smith(Assistant Sales Manager)
    817-701-1021 direct line

I'm beginning to really like it. I don't like that you can't have a real rollbar with the new top design, though. Got too much time and love in my NA though.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    I'm beginning to really like it. I don't like that you can't have a real rollbar with the new top design, though. Got too much time and love in my NA though.
    Same here! Well except for the NA love!

With the way the new top folds and with the style bar setup on it looks like a true roll bar is going to be tricky.

You can click on the 2006 Mazda Miata Website to play around with the available configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    With the way the new top folds and with the style bar setup on it looks like a true roll bar is going to be tricky.
    From the cut-aways it looked like the bar was more than just a style bar (although I remember Mazda stopping short of calling it a roll bar.) I bet that Bethania comes up with a roll bar for the car shortly...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What do you care - go ahead and buy one already, and put a roll bar in Vivid for track days!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The other thing I noticed was the intake and exhaust has switched sides from what we are accustomed to seeing. Wonder how they are going to supercharge this new motor?

How much of that plastic (covers and such) has to be down in there? I know that on the VW there's a ton of plastic panels that cover the motor... none of it serves a purpose beyond aesthetics.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    How much of that plastic (covers and such)
    One thing to remember is the battery is under the hood now and not in the trunk. Maybe a battery-relocation kit will be needed to make room.

ANother thing I noticed yesterday the front emblem is HUGE. It is also in a depression in the front bumper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast