Thread: Smart Hybrid -- I'd Buy One

Default Smart Hybrid -- I'd Buy One

Smart's latest:

Hot on the heels of the S-Class launch came the opposite extreme, the Smart Crosstown. The tiny Crosstown is based on the Smart FourTwo. So what's the difference? The Crosstwon is a hybrid. It uses a 23 kw electric motor and 61 hp gas engine coupled to a six speed automatic transmission. Another cool feature is the Crosstown's folding windshield: Open the hood and the windshield assembly swings forward into a small cubby.

That'd be a great commuter car. Give it tires with lower rolling resistance and an aerodynamic windshield and I bet it would push 70 MPG. Put in satellite radio, sell it for $13,000, and you'd have people lining up for them.

S.

Looks like a Tonka truck I had in my youth!

Why not save yourself some money and buy a used Suzuki X-90?

IMHO, that Smart Hybrid looks about as useful as a two-legged stool. Personally, I'd rather see Smart bring their Roadster over - now that would be a fun, economical commuter car... that didn't look like your kid niece's Barbie Jeep.

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    IMHO, that Smart Hybrid looks about as useful as a two-legged stool. Personally, I'd rather see Smart bring their Roadster over - now that would be a fun, economical commuter car... that didn't look like your kid niece's Barbie Jeep.
    It does look like a Barbie Jeep!

Why not save yourself some money and buy a used Suzuki X-90?

The Roadster is dead, Sparky. Not enough sales. The city car would be perfect for those of us who don't commute 96 miles each way on the Interstate. :monkey:

S.

I saw the Smart Roadster in Hong Kong in a show last year when I visit my Mom. It looks great and is smaller than the NB. However, to get all the necessary goodies it decomes pricy. I think with the dollar conversion rate, it has to be in the low 20's. May the the mark up at Hong Kong is different than in the US.

Also Daewoo also has a roadster in the ariport terminal at Soul, S. Korea. I saw it when I stop over last year. It is very similar to the Smart Roadster. Perhaps it has some genetic material from the Sky, since GM has finanical interest in Daewoo. It will be nice if they bing it over. It will a TCB roadster!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The Roadster is dead, Sparky. Not enough sales. The city car would be perfect for those of us who don't commute 96 miles each way on the Interstate. :monkey:

S.
    That's too bad. The Smart Roadster was the best of the bunch, imho. The ForFour might be viable in this country (as an upscale city car, targeting the same market that buys Scion xBs and the like), but I've seen enough ForTwos in person in Britain to laugh at the idea of them sharing a road with the onslaught of Excursions and Suburbans we have down here.

Hell, if my commute was short and sweet, I probably would have bought a full-size diesel truck for a daily driver, so that I would have something to tow the Miata on weekends... and to crush puny little Barbie Jeep city cars.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

looks like a mini-jeep
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I like it... sign me up for one!
    bean...You might even get a better price if you tell them you don't need the top
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Personally, I'd rather see Smart bring their Roadster over - now that would be a fun, economical commuter car...
    They were on Top Gear tonight. looks fun
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    bean...You might even get a better price if you tell them you don't need the top
    To quote several folks on this forum:

That's just funny. I don't care who you are, that's just funny
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region