Thread: Lotus Elise!

Default Lotus Elise!

I can't wait to start seeing some of those around here.

Even better, I can't wait for all of the poseurs who've lined up to buy the next "gottahaveit" car to realize that the Elise is not a refined daily driver or commuter car, whine and bitch about it awhile, and then dump them on the used car market.

In short, I can't wait until I can afford one. I plan to keep the Miata in one form or another for the next few years as a track/autocross car (once it is retired from daily driving)... but when it goes I hope to replace it with an Elise.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The Elise is exactly the kinda car I could lease, if I couldn't afford to buy one right out.

It comes fully prepped straight from the factory. No need to really mod it, 'cept maybe a louder exhaust.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

So have their been any updates on what these guys are going to do for tires?

Last I'd heard tehre really wasn't anything on the market that would work well for r-compounds on this car....

I'd drive one, but I'm not paying 40k for that privledge... :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    So have their been any updates on what these guys are going to do for tires?
    You can always add, "The Sport Pack is $2,480 and includes lightweight forged alloy wheels (6.5-inch by 16-inch front and 7.5-inch by 17-inch rear), track-tuned suspension with adjustable ride height, and Yokohama A048 LTS tires (195/50R16 front and 225/45R17 rear). "

Good catch, their POS... as A048s are R compounds, after all...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Good catch, their POS... as A048s are R compounds, after all...
    Yeppie!

You did see the price of the Your-mama's tires. Makes Hoosiers look cheap. $273

But I Still say the best R tire ever made was the Yokohama A001. A R-tire that had tread and was fantastic in the rain. That is back when people drove to events on their R tires. They had a real precise feeling like a Hoosier does now. Just 20 years ago. I wish they would bring that one back. Great grip and no noise.

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    You did see the price of the Your-mama's tires. Makes Hoosiers look cheap. $273
    But the good thing is, the wheel sizing on the Sport Package will work well with R compounds that are already on the market. Looks like you'd have your choice of Hoosier A3S04s (205/45-16 fronts with either 225/45-17 or 245/40-17 rears), or Kumho Ecsta V700s (205/45-16 fronts with 225/45-17, 235/40-17, or 245/40-17 rears) that would fit and be a lot cheaper than the OEM tires.

BTW, miatamaniac92, now that Lotus is no longer specifically excluded from SM2, there are already people talking about developing supercharged or turbocharged Elises for the class. There are already such options available for the Celica GT-S, so development time for similar applications in the Elise ought to be pretty short. Z06s and super/turbo-charged Miatas beware...

Side note - I wonder if Elise drivers will qualify for TRD contingency awards? :P
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I thought there were some noisy rumors about rubbing with the existing R compounds... Sure would be a shame for something to happen to one of those fenders...