Thread: Potential bad news...

Unhappy Potential bad news...

We just got some potentially bad news from our Trib bosses. Our stations in Philly and San Diego are losing their news outfits... and more layoffs are expected across the country.

So, hopefully it won't happen here, but if it does, I may be going down the altiain route of going back to school for a change of career direction.

I'll be crossing my fingers...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I'll be crossing my fingers...
    I've been down the layoff path twice and it sucks... I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too Bean.

Good luck!
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've been insourced, outsourced, merged, gone thru a company bankruptcy and I turned out OK. Good luck Bean, I'm sure you'll land on your feet regardless of what happens.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I remember the wholesale cuts that used to happen in broadcasting every two years after the elections and Christmas were over. I moved from broadcasting to the electric utility industry because it was much more stable.
    In the last 27 years, I've worked for five different companies, I've seen 43% of the workforce go away in the first downsizing, and 42% of the remaining workforce go away in the next, and until the 4th change, I only changed offices when we got a new building! (The 4th change was due to legislation/deregulation, and I got to work from my house.) I've watched the company stock go from $60 to $11 and then bounce back to $107 in less than three years.
    3Bean - you have skills and talent. Hang in there. You will be fine.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    3Bean - you have skills and talent. Hang in there. You will be fine.
    Yea what he said!

Plus aren't you guys #1 in DFW currently?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Yea what he said!

Plus aren't you guys #1 in DFW currently?
    Thanks fellas... I've never been down this road before. But we're all hoping they won't turn the axes on us.

We're currently the number one WB affilitiate in revenue generation in the country... but unfortunetly that has nothing to do with us in news. According to the trade papers, the newspaper outfits and stations with unions are fairing worse...

My wife and I both work there, but the good news is they usually hold on to their engineering staff (they have to remain on air somehow!)

Sorry to hear about the potential bad news, Bean...

I've been laid off twice and hit the door with another company because I saw the handwriting on the wall (company folded and closed their doors about six weeks after I left). It's always frustrating to realize that the company you've devoted your time and your life to sees you as nothing more than an accounting entry on the wrong side of the book.

Still, these things can sometimes be a blessing in disguise. If I hadn't been laid off in '00, I might never have returned to being a full-time student, in which case I'd probably still be a finance company drone and part-time night student with years to go before I graduated. I certainly wouldn't be in the position that I am now, with an engineering degree and well paid to do a job that I enjoy.

Anyway, hang in there - you're a smart guy with a good attitude and a good head on your shoulders. People like you usually land on their feet, regardless of what suprises life has in store for them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Good luck Bean!

Just keep your eyes open to what's going on around you. I've been under the threats of layoffs (and didn't get hit) and worked for a company that was giving me bouncing paychecks. Neither were fun.

Don't let the stress get to you - it will only make things worse - and remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, just the guy that's with you!

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Good luck bean. Since I dont have any advice, Ill just agree with what everyone else said. You are one of the people that "get it" These kind of people usually do ok in the end.

At least the job market seems to be getting better than 3-4 years ago... people being pushed out the door have a lot more options than they did back then.

We're hiring here... if anyone is a capable software type, drop me a PM...

[sidebar] Even though it was tough getting layed off, I had to laugh when the group VP of our company responded to a question about the layoffs by saying, "We rationalized their job functions" (direct quote). The SOB would never say "layoff" or even refer to us as people. Luckily, he got his papers not to long after that, albeit with a hefty golden parachute... [\sidebar]
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I'm in the same boat Iain was in. I didn't love the IT Field (to much retraining on a subject I care little about) and only was in it out of convenience (hard to leave your career field) and the $$$ of the late 90s. There is no job security in IT and the $$$ aren't as plentiful as they used to be to compensate for any instability. After being laid off numerous times, I decided I needed to go back to school and do something I want to do.

Now if you love your career, keep at it but if it is unfulfilling, then life is too short to spend 8 hours+ a day doing something you hate.

It isn't easy as Iain would likely agree but I'm betting (hoping!) it's worth it in the end. I make a pitance of my former salary working part-time for FedEx but have great benefits including tuition reimbursment. It's hot, physical work too. Ugh... Meanwhile, my wife if the primary bread winner. She's on a teacher's salary and we have two growing (hungry!) boys with a baby on the way so it isn't easy.

Eventually, I'll get my degree and as two teachers we'll work 9 mos a year and spend the summers traveling/chillin' with our kids. Now that to me is living. Not 12 mos behind a desk with two weeks for a vacation. :ncool: Of course that's just my opinion.

Good Luck with whatever your future holds my tri-legume amigo.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)