Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And you thought paying $3 a gallon sucked...

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I'll be here all week..try the veal!
    Can you tell me how much the veal costs?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Can you tell me how much the veal costs?
    Better make sure it's veal before you eat it... There are no strays around Sammm's place.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Default This is disgusting...

Heard on CNN this morning that the average profit on a gallon of gas has tripled in the last twelve months, from $0.33 to $1.00 per gallon.

I find that absolutely disgusting. Now, I'm typically in favor of pretty free markets, but when it comes to necessity goods like water and electricity I think regulation is necessary to maintain price stability, so that middle class and working class Americans can budget for the neccessities. When your wages only grow 2-5% a year, it's hard to absorb 100-200% increases in goods and services that you need to survive. Regulation is necessary, imho, in these types of markets, even if it keeps prices artificially low.

Perhaps it's time for regulation of the fuel production industry in this country as well. Although I have little faith in the politicians to actually improve anyhting they get involved in, the fact that profit per gallon has tripled during the same span that the price has more than doubled leads me to believe that the oil companies are profiteering on the backs of average Americans like you and me. They know we need gas, they have a sympathetic simpleton in the White House, and they've figured out that there probably won't be many consequences if they just keep raising the price and taking in more profits.

That needs to change.

I'm writing a letter today to my elected morons in Congress to encourage the adoption of price controls for the civillian fuel industry in this country, in the wake of rampant profiteering and a lack of corporate responsibility on the part of oil companies. I encourage you to do the same... unless you just like being bent over by Dubya and the people who paid for him.

Do you think if I was an oil company exec that my President would care about me, too?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    they have a sympathetic simpleton in the White House
    Yup...

Do you think if I was an oil company exec that my President would care about me, too?
    Don't forget the Veep... The guy that swept all the energy problems in California under the rug of Executive Privilege... Don't expect much to come out of the congressional inquiries into the gasoline problems...

This mirrors the California problems... plants offline for "maintenance" during peak energy needs... plants offline during Katrina for "maintenance"... Anyone else seeing what looks like creating or enhancing a supply problem?

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Heard on CNN this morning that the average profit on a gallon of gas has tripled in the last twelve months, from $0.33 to $1.00 per gallon.

I find that absolutely disgusting. Now, I'm typically in favor of pretty free markets, but when it comes to necessity goods like water and electricity I think regulation is necessary to maintain price stability, so that middle class and working class Americans can budget for the neccessities. When your wages only grow 2-5% a year, it's hard to absorb 100-200% increases in goods and services that you need to survive. Regulation is necessary, imho, in these types of markets, even if it keeps prices artificially low.

Perhaps it's time for regulation of the fuel production industry in this country as well. Although I have little faith in the politicians to actually improve anyhting they get involved in, the fact that profit per gallon has tripled during the same span that the price has more than doubled leads me to believe that the oil companies are profiteering on the backs of average Americans like you and me. They know we need gas, they have a sympathetic simpleton in the White House, and they've figured out that there probably won't be many consequences if they just keep raising the price and taking in more profits.

That needs to change.

I'm writing a letter today to my elected morons in Congress to encourage the adoption of price controls for the civillian fuel industry in this country, in the wake of rampant profiteering and a lack of corporate responsibility on the part of oil companies. I encourage you to do the same... unless you just like being bent over by Dubya and the people who paid for him.

I agree 100%. Somthing needs to be done.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12