Thread: Miata Vs. Solstice

Default Miata Vs. Solstice

Every comparo I've seen has had the solstice winning because of the creature comforts, and a more "gran touring" style of driving. Where as the MX-5 has been called, more of a sporting car, with a more racy suspension. It is more eager to go. If I know the guys on this website, anyway, lack of creature comforts and a more racy suspension is not anything new.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds.com
    But this new Miata, or MX-5, or whatever Mazda is calling it, is really something. Its interior is better finished than the Pontiac's, its performance is a bit better and it's the better convertible, with superior wind protection for its passengers and a far superior top design.

But the biggest reason the Miata took this one is the simple fact that it's 10 billion times more fun to drive. It's more responsive. Its engine is livelier and its gearbox feels like it was plucked from a shifter kart. It also has more steering feel, and it stops better.
    This is the first review I've read that had the MX5 beating the Solstice. I'm glad someone (Edmunds?) thought that the sportier MX5 should win over the "cushier" but obviously capable Pontiac, but is anyone here disappointed in a 0-60 time of 7.5 seconds? That's less than half a second faster than the NB! I do not judge my cars on straight-line performance -- never have -- but something closer to 7 seconds (or dare I ask for just under 7 seconds?) would have grabbed my interest a lot more. So far nothing I've seen or read is going to get me to part with another $25k when I have a perfectly good NB sitting in the garage...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    (or dare I ask for just under 7 seconds?)
    Mazda will sell you just such a Miata. The remaining models are available at your local stealership now, and they're going CHEAP!

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Mazda will sell you just such a Miata. The remaining models are available at your local stealership now, and they're going CHEAP!

S.
    And if they'd do more than about 45mph in 2nd gear, I'd be mildly interested in one.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    And if they'd do more than about 45mph in 2nd gear, I'd be mildly interested in one.
    Jeez, Iain, you sound like a guy who likes to drive around in second gear a lot!

Your point is a good one, although the gearing is really only an issue on the track. For spirited street driving, it doesn't get in the way.

S.