Thread: King of Bling

Default King of Bling

King of Bling? Cadillac hoping hip-hop input will help make 2007 Escalade a hit

JASON STEIN | Automotive News

Posted Date: 9/27/05

DETROIT -- General Motors might not have Snoop Dogg in a commercial. But it will have a Cadillac with factory-installed 22-inch wheels.

GM is still a few months away from unveiling its next generation of Cadillac SUVs, but the automaker already is nicknaming its 2007 Escalade the "King of Bling." GM can thank a few trendsetters for the tips.

Two years ago, during the early development of its next-generation Escalade SUV, GM brought in more than 30 of the biggest names in sports and entertainment as consultants on the vehicle.

A month ago, GM brought back the same group to make sure Cadillac got everything just right.

"We had a private showing to these same guys, and they gave us input that we then brought back," says Jim Taylor, Cadillac's general marketing manager. "They took another look, and I was pleased to hear from these hip-hop guys, 'I'm not going to have to do anything to this vehicle," in the aftermarket. "That was music to my ears."

To bling up the Escalade, Cadillac made 22-inch wheels optional (the 2006 model offers 20-inch wheels), added a glitzier chrome grille and used interior materials such as continuously lit white-LED backlighting and richer fabrics.

Taylor says designing the Escalade to meet the tastes of the influencer is not easy.

"It's a fine line," he says. "If it becomes commercialized, it looks forced, and immediately that group can turn on you."

The Escalade will be available in the first quarter next year.
    -------------

Start savin' those pennies, kids!

S.

They have no clue. They tried this in the late 80's with a mini-truck... optional factory body kit, lowering, graphics, etc. One sat on my local dealer's showroom floor for 2 years. They just don't get it. It is about personalization, one-upmanship, uniqueness. If they all look the same, then there is nothing special.

Speaking of Escalades, my favorite New Stupid Trend is people with Chevy Silverados who have Escalade grilles grafted onto the front. Seems like these things are everywhere these days.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU'RE FOOLING???

S.

The same people that are fooled by the 'Type R' logos...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

When I worked in Flower Mound I saw a brand new Escalade with a Domino's pizza sign on the top of it.
    just thought I would share, I thought it was hillarious
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    When I worked in Flower Mound I saw a brand new Escalade with a Domino's pizza sign on the top of it.
    just thought I would share, I thought it was hillarious
    That's pretty funny. Maybe dad is letting his son use it?

S.

Either that or Dad worked in IT, it was about 3 years ago...lol
    99 Miata Black