Thread: Just a story I wanted to share..

Default Just a story I wanted to share..

This is the Bull section and I consider this story to be Bull related however personal, I am curious if anyone else here has had any type of similar experience.

I have a rare disease called Avascular Necrosis, I am in stage 3 of this Disease.
    I am to the point that I can not work or walk very far without Morphine.
    Morphine has been found through extensive research on my part to be a great pain releiver for me and other people who suffer this sort of pain.
    However my problem is this is a rare disease and I am 37 years old, the Orthopedic Surgeons that I have went to say to wait on the surgery because the total hip replacements dont last long enough to keep me out of a wheelchair by the time I am in my 50's.
    The Pain Management Dr.s say they won't precrible me the Morphine anymore because the DEA is cracking down on them for writting 3 part presriptions such as Morphine.
    I have no Insurance and can not afford to pay for this major surgery out of pocket, and now John Peter Smith in Ft Worth won't take me because I live in Weatherford (Parker County).
    I am posting this just to see if there is anyone else who has had a similar experience.
    This is truly the biggest Catch 22 I have ever found myself in...I would appreciate it very much if anyone has any advice they can offer me.
    It looks like right now my only option is to suffer in pain and withdrawal for over a year at a minimum to try and get Disability bennefits so that I can qualify for Medicaid and get the Surgery.
    Thanks for listening and any advice that can be given.
    99 Miata Black

Tough story... sorry about your predicament.

How about getting a regular gig that would provide some benefits that would help offset the costs involved. Some job that doesn't require alot of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Tough story... sorry about your predicament.

How about getting a regular gig that would provide some benefits that would help offset the costs involved. Some job that doesn't require alot of motion.
    Knowing the insurance companies they'd pobably get him for pre-existing. Sorry. No advice. I'll see if I can bounce it off my Dr. Bro-in-law.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Thanks Black Roadster.

Your right pre-existing would apply not to mention without the pain meds there is no way I would be able to work the 32 hours a week that would be required to qualify for insurance.

Without the meds it is unbearable to sit or stand or walk for any long periods of time.
    The meds are how I have been able to continue to work but unfortunately I am about to be cut off that. So I will have the pain and withdrawals from being off the Morphine...I have started on my own tappering off and I can really tell that I am going to be in trouble the pain has gotten much worse, I am pretty sure I am stage 4 now.
    The Orthopod has told me there is no danger of it popping out of socket but it could all of a sudden just break on me.

I know this sounds crazy but I thought about just going down to JPS and standing in the Emergency room with a shop Hammer and just smacking myself in the Hip with it to break it.....they would have to treat me then.
    That's how desperate I am at this point.
    99 Miata Black

Billy sorry to hear about your situation. I dont have insurance either, and it is something my girlfriend keeps bugging me to do. Sorry I dont have any ideas to offer. I dont know about breaking your own hip at the hospital though. They might not feel very sorry for you...

Billy -- I'm sorry to hear that times are so desperate. That's the kind of nightmare that all of us fear. It's heartbreaking to hear that you're living it. I don't know about breaking your own hip, either. Those things are pretty hard to break, and you might wind up doing other damage. Your story about the morphine infuriates me. It is yet another stark example of just how $%^#ed up this country's "war on drugs" has become.

S.

Well truth be told I would likely not break my hip on purpose but I did think about it.
    Of coarse I think it should be legal to kill a lawyer a day before breakfast too....lol
    Your right though about the prescription meds, my Dad was an MD and lost his license and was tried for murder before he was murdered.
    The reason was he prescribed Methadone to a recovering Heroin addict who in turn did actual Heroin with it and some other drugs and OD'd.
    He was cleared of the charges but had some info on some very high ranking people in Texas that got him killed the day before the trial...me and my sister found him I was 4 she was 6.
    The FBI watched us for months afterwards and we were taken out of the state for protection, as an adult I tried to investigate what happened only to find his autopsy and other files were missing....go figure.
    So I understand first hand why the Dr's are afraid to treat pain in the manner it should be treated, but the patient is the one who suffers.
    All that being said I am trying right now to get the Surgery done at what is possibly the worst Hospital in North Texas because of where I live and being without insurance.
    It sux, but what can you do...I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
    I don't feel sorry for myself but I do feel sorry for the other people like myself that have to suffer when there is legal treatment available.
    The war on Drugs is a huge Joke.
    I know someone who was convicted of a Felony even for the crime of seeing two Dr's.
    I didn't know that was a crime, but apparently it is now.
    Thanks for listening, it does help knowing that someone cares.
    99 Miata Black

I feel your pain, kind of. I had an emergency apendechtomy in march. I am a college student, and I did not have insurance. (I do now through work). Long story short, through the help of family, friends, and some of the financial aid from the hospital, my bill went from 16k to about 1k. This is why I am available to buy a miata now. My advice don't be scared to ask for help. Your real friends will help you if you need it. Get a job with an insurance package. My work(Target in Sherman) has a really good one. I'll probably be with target until I graduate college. Third, if you don't alredy, go to church. It helps more than anything. Just my $.02
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

As I mentioned above working 32 to 40 hours,...what is required to get insurance coverage.
    I would need to be taking the pain medication, that's the problem.
    Can't work without pain meds, can't get pain meds because pain med Dr's say get Surgery, Can't get Surgery cause I have no insurance, and the Surgeons advise against it.

I am working a couple of new angles now, unfortunately I will most likely be checked into a hospital in the interum for withdrawal symptoms...because I will run out of pain meds before then and most deffinately will have to stop all work.

On the bright side when I get the Surgery and am able to walk free of pain and without a drug addiction, I get the joy of re-starting my business again from scratch....aint it all just a kick in the head..lol
    99 Miata Black