Thread: The story about my 99 Miata

Default The story about my 99 Miata

Well, I posted this story on another board, and just in case anybody wondered about my signature, figured I'd let you guys know what happened.

The 99 threw a code so I brought it in to get it checked out as part of my extended warranty (that, and it was a cat code so it was under the emission warranty anyways). They brought it to a Mazda dealership (I bought it from a Chrysler/Jeep dealership), where they brought up the VIN and found it to be a salvage title car. Now, before buying it I looked everywhere for signs of any major damage and found none. The guy who fixed this car did an awesome job. However, the guy who traded it in brought it in and passed it off as a clear title car and got full trade in for it. I bought it at their asking price, a little high but for the mileage and condition, I was ok with it. Lol, and of course I wasn't so ok with it after the salvage title. They couldn't sell me the car anyways, even if I did pay cash, as their policy is to send it to auction and not sell any non-clear title cars to customers.

So to soften the blow, they offered me several different vehicles, still trying to make a sale. Now, I realize that at this point I probably should have gone back to either the Honda dealership that had me "pre-approved" for a certain '03 S2000 or out to Subaru of Dallas to pick up a WRX. Me getting a loan approval is no small feat with my horrible credit (stupidy and lack of a job for a while). Needless to say, I really didn't feel like going through hours of paperwork, again, and hoping and praying to get approved for a loan.

They ended up giving me a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport for the same price as the 99 Miata was going to cost. The gas mileage isn't great, but it's not horrible. In a relatively short amount of time I will be paying on the principle of the account (I will soon start doubling the payments). The plan is in 2-2.5 years to trade it in for an EVO :) I'm still debating paying cash for a 94-95 Miata, but lately I've been leaning more towards getting a bike. Especially after seeing a very nice R1 for a price that I could afford; sadly I could afford it in 3 months and not yesterday.

So there's why I am Miata-less.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Weird! They ever figure out how it earned it's salvage title??? Sure looked like a nice car! Well at least you didn't get hosed on the deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Does this mean you can maybe buy the '99 back for cheap? Perhaps?
    At an auction... time/place unknown. I never had the cash to buy it outright, even at a salvage title price.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    At an auction... time/place unknown. I never had the cash to buy it outright, even at a salvage title price.
    I bet the guy who traded this car in got an unpleasant phone call. Believe you can do time for "fixin" a title!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I bet the guy who traded this car in got an unpleasant phone call. Believe you can do time for "fixin" a title!
    The salesman was very honest with me through everything. While waiting on my gf to show up so we could finish the Jeep's paperwork (it took all of 5 minutes to "buy" the Jeep ), we talked about the whole situation. The guy didn't answer his phone, even after several calls to his home/work/cell.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge