Thread: Nissan Foria

Default Nissan Foria

This small, front engine, rear wheel drive coupe will be on display at the Toyko Auto Show this month. I like it. Give it a peppy, fuel efficient I4, keep the RWD platform, and price it reasonably and this would make an interesting choice.

It's also a more coherent integration of Nissan's design language than we've seen recently. Weird color, but a handsome car.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Weird color, but a handsome car.
    Yeah... I don't get the pastel colour at all, but... putting that asside it looks like a nice car.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Looks similiar to a Crossfire.

Not sure why, but I've always had a thing for the Crossfire. Used prices are getting interesting.

I don't think I'd ever pull the trigger on one, but if I could own, say, 6 cars, it'd be sort of cool to have one.

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Not sure why, but I've always had a thing for the Crossfire.
    They are cool (looking) cars, but I think they are a maintenance nightmare and your basic piece of shite.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    They are cool (looking) cars, but I think they are a maintenance nightmare and your basic piece of shite.
    Really? Under the skin they're basically a 1st gen Merc SLK - not the world's best built car, but far from the worst, either.

I like 'em as well - definitely eye catching on the road. I knew the prices on new & used ones were falling like a stone, but I had no idea they'd already dropped below $20k! :schock:

Unfortunately, as noted above, the mechanicals are all previous gen SLK... including the recirculating-ball steering (I think even my '96 Tacoma 4x4 had rack & pinion) and lackluster engine. Between that, the need to feed it expensive 19" tires, and the fact that while it's more grand tourer than sports car, it's has squat for luggage capacity, would probably keep me from buying one.

That said, if used prices keep free-falling like that, I could see buying a low mileage one for $12-14k...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

As for the Foria, I say bring it on. I'd love to see a reasonably priced, front engine, rwd, 4cylinder coupe or small sedan designed to compete in the $15k-22k market segment. Think basic, sporty transportation, like an RSX, Civic Si, Scion tC, Mini Cooper S, WRX, etc. With all of the competiton in that segment being fwd or awd, I think there's room for a modern day BMW 2002 or Datsun 510 for rwd enthusiasts.

Price it aroun $18k with cloth seats, a/c, a manual transmission, limited slip, and power windows, let it get mid-20s real world fuel economy, and I'd give Melissa the CRV and trade her Accord in on one as a daily driver tomorrow.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Give it to me in black with a nice set of light weight wheels!!
    Why? You'll just strip all the nice interior out...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

It's the new Toyota Celica! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I always had a thing for those old Celicas... especially the way the rest of the world pronounced the name... Ce-lee-kah.
    FWIW, I've always wanted to turn one like the one in the picture into a vintage muscle car knockoff with a Lexus V8 transplant. One of these days...

C