Thread: Didn't Think the Elise Could Get Any More Desireable?

Default Didn't Think the Elise Could Get Any More Desireable?

Lotus announced Friday the availability of the limited edition Elise Sports Racer. Only 199 of the track-day style Elise will be built worldwide.

A higher performance version of the already brilliant Elise, the Sports Racer features a number of upgrades, including:

* ultra-light forged alloy wheels (2.6 lb lighter than the standard model)
    * stiffer Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks
    * twin oil coolers
    * available Torsen Limited Slip Differential
    * lighter pedal box, with drive-by-wire throttle, quicker brake action and overall improved pedal feel
    * Lotus Traction Control - a driver-selectable system that works through the engine for much quicker response than the more common brake-based TC systems

Straight-line performance makes the upgraded handling worthwhile, with a 0-60 mph time of 4.9 seconds, 0-100 mph in 13.0 seconds, and a top speed of 150 mph.

The Sports Racer features a distinctive trim package, meant to evoke racing Lotus color schemes from the ‘50s and ‘60s. Both designs are shown above, one in Ardent Red, the other in Nightfall Blue. Exclusive interior trim, exterior badging, and an individually numbered build plate further distinguish the Sports Racer from the standard Elise.

U.K pricing starts at $56,500, with export pricing to be announced soon.

http://common.weblogsinc.com/common/...0000050370.JPG

Very nice. :afro:

S.

That's one SWEET looking Car!!!
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    * available Torsen Limited Slip Differential
    This reminds me of a question that I have wanted to bring up for a while. Up until this new edition, the Elise has not had an available LSD. This has never seemed to be a problem, and the car has one of the best reputations around. What makes the Elise fine without an LSD, while everyone makes such a big deal of the importance of getting the LSD in the Miata? I understand what the LSD does for a car, I just don't get why the Elise seems to be exempt from the issue.

With mid-engine cars, an open diff is often not as much of a hindrance as it is on front-engined cars, because the weight of the engine over the drive wheels tends to plant them better under acceleration. Also, the Elise's relative lack of torque means wheelspin isn't as much of an issue as it would be in, say, a Z06 Corvette. An Elise has a much greater percentage of its weight over the drive wheels than a Miata does.

Also, while previous Elises's were viewed as excellent handling cars, that's not to say that an LSD wouldn't have been an improvement in them as well. Plus, Lotus tends to march to the beat of their own drummer.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

A stiffer Elise...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

This is the current Exige:

I'm not sure it's more desireable than an Elise, but this is sort of like arguing about whether a Carrera S is more desirable than an Aston Vantage. I'd give my left nut for either one of them.

S.