Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspension question

Default suspension question

I'm getting a set of eibach prokits from a guy and am going to run kybs with them. Anyone using a like setup and if so how does it ride? Also is it a must that I get the FM shock mounts for the rear or would my setup be okay for everyday driving and an autocross or track day every once in awhile?
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil
    Also is it a must that I get the FM shock mounts for the rear or would my setup be okay for everyday driving and an autocross or track day every once in awhile?
    The FM shock mounts have only been out for about 2 years, and A LOT of people ran lowered NAs without a problem before than. The vast majority (including me) still run without them today without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    The FM shock mounts have only been out for about 2 years, and A LOT of people ran lowered NAs without a problem before than. The vast majority (including me) still run without them today without a problem.
    I should probably add that they are on my list of future mods... My point is that they are much more of a luxury item than a necessity.

Im running FM springs / AGX shocks, & like Titus said, other than being rather uncomfortable on large enough bumps that usually bounce our SUV around, its really not a problem. After a while you know when to slow down, or you pay for it. As for performance, I cant see them making any difference unless your doing rallycross or something.

The FM shock mounts are also on my list, but not untill a comparable generic comes out or the price drops a bit, im not paying $250 for an item with no price competition.

Note: This is my experience with FM springs, I dont know how much softer/stiffer the eibachs are...YMMV.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

My understanding is that the Eibach Pro Kits for the Miata are one of the softer lowering springs out there. Softer springs are going to exacerbate the problem that the FM spring perches were designed to solve - the fact that too low/soft of a rear spring allows the shock tops in the rear to get into the bump stops way too early.

When this happens, the rear spring rate increases exponentially, changing the dynamic balance of the car. A lot of snap oversteer problems on modified Miatas can be traced to too little rear suspension travel. The FM mounts cure this. To me, there isn't much point in going to the expense (and hassle) of installing lowering springs and shocks to "improve" the handling of the car, if you're going to leave out a part that allows the suspension to function as intended at the extreme range of travel, especially if it's a part you'll have to completely disassemble the rear suspension to add later.

Titus suggests that the FM upper mounts aren't necessary because plenty of people ran lowered NA Miatas for years before they existed. I suggest that they exist because people ran lowered NA Miatas for years... and discovered the issue I outlined above.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Actually, the Eibach ProKits for the Miata were the second or third stiffest behind the FM kit. I have the spring rates on my PC somewhere...

IMO, they are stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Before I forget... I believe these were the same springs MadMerv had one of his Specs.

Perhaps he'll correct me if I'm wrong.
    IIRC the springs I have are Racing Beat. Will have to check......
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

I know this is some thread drift but I just had to chime in.

I have the FM Shock Mounts so I think my point of view may be of interest.

First let me say I have the KYB AGX 8-ways with Ground Control coilovers. As many of you have seen, my car is nice and low. Top of the tire is right at the top of the fender well.

Before I installed the FM Shock Mounts I had a really problem with hitting the bump stops. Even being careful, it was easy to do and bone-jaring. I even hit them on dips on the freeway which had me literally flying out of my seat.

Not fun. I finally had to raise the car back up to stock hight to get any shock travel. What's the point of coilovers if you're running at stock height?

Since installing the FM shock Mounts, I have never and I mean, NEVER hit the bump stops. This is with my car back down to it low stance too.

Are they worth the $$$? If you have money invested in an aftermarket suspension that you like except that you hit the bump stops, I think they are.

Now if I had it to do over again, I might go with a Tien suspension but that really didn't exist when I bought my setup. The Ground Controls at the time were the shizznit.

The instructors that have driven my car also thought my suspension was pretty keen.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Hey Merv, I'm talking about the set I bought from you a while back...
    You did????? You sure??????
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    You did????? You sure??????
    Unless someone else that works where you work at and drives several Miatas is going around selling your parts at your place of business. Odd thing is, that guy really looks and sounds like you too!

Do you have an evil twin around somewhere?

So far I've picked up a wiring harness and some springs from you... however, I didn't buy anything at the swap meet.

So far I've picked up a wiring harness and some springs from you... however, I didn't buy anything at the swap meet.
    I remember you being here twice. Once in the Vdub for the harness, and another time in the Smurf, but I don't remember for what......."old timers"?

I still have that carbon fiber air dam, too!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I still have that carbon fiber air dam, too!
    And, Bean... i still have a Belly-pan leaning against the wall of my garage... I would love to turn it into new brake pads!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    And, Bean... i still have a Belly-pan leaning against the wall of my garage... I would love to turn it into new brake pads!
    If you squeeze the aluminium hard enough it just may compress and turn into breaks!

You take PayPal, pal?

You take PayPal, pal?
    Yes sir!

Engine Builder
    Euless or Burleson or Euless or Burleson or Euless or Burles...

Actually, the Eibach ProKits for the Miata were the second or third stiffest behind the FM kit. I have the spring rates on my PC somewhere...

IMO, they are stiff.
    do you have a list of several brands, or just the eibach rates.
    i'd kinda like to see a list to compare all the major brands out there, like eibach, tein, h&r, FM, koni, racing beat, etc... that is if you have such a list

Quote Originally Posted by Master357
    do you have a list of several brands, or just the eibach rates.
    i'd kinda like to see a list to compare all the major brands out there, like eibach, tein, h&r, FM, koni, racing beat, etc... that is if you have such a list
    I'll have to locate it...

I'll try after I get home later tonight.

Well, let's see... all this info coming from each spring's respective site -

Racing Beat "Streets" Front - 203 lbs/in
    Racing Beat "Streets" Rear - 113 lbs/in

Racing Beat "Race" Front - 226 lbs/in
    Racing Beat "Race" Rear - 122 lbs/in

Flyin' Miata Front - 342 lbs/in
    Flyin' Miata Rear - 228 lbs/in

Eibach Pro-Kit Front - 292 lbs/in
    Eibach Pro-Kit Rear - 200 lbs/in

Stock / Koni / Tein... still searching for those...

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I know this is some thread drift but I just had to chime in.

I have the FM Shock Mounts so I think my point of view may be of interest.

First let me say I have the KYB AGX 8-ways with Ground Control coilovers. As many of you have seen, my car is nice and low. Top of the tire is right at the top of the fender well.

Before I installed the FM Shock Mounts I had a really problem with hitting the bump stops. Even being careful, it was easy to do and bone-jaring. I even hit them on dips on the freeway which had me literally flying out of my seat.

Not fun. I finally had to raise the car back up to stock hight to get any shock travel. What's the point of coilovers if you're running at stock height?

Since installing the FM shock Mounts, I have never and I mean, NEVER hit the bump stops. This is with my car back down to it low stance too.

Are they worth the $$$? If you have money invested in an aftermarket suspension that you like except that you hit the bump stops, I think they are.

Now if I had it to do over again, I might go with a Tien suspension but that really didn't exist when I bought my setup. The Ground Controls at the time were the shizznit.

The instructors that have driven my car also thought my suspension was pretty keen.
    I'm in full agreement. I drove for a while w/o the FM shock mounts, my teeth chatter'd so much they hurt. To save my teeth and to get my wife to ride with me again, I bought the FM shock mounts and never looked back. My car is low but rides great.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast