Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2006 Pro MX-5 racing

A ~$30k race car - especially one in a fully televised, professional series - is cheap. You couldn't touch a competitive World Challenge car for three times that amount.

I'm skeptical that "simple bolt-ons" are going to bring the MZR up to 100hp/liter output. My guess is that those sealed engines will be substantially reworked compared to production motors.

Still, I'll be looking forward to seeing this series!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Sorry for my laziness in not properly quoting, but blackroadster asked about the sealing/claiming...

Sealing is like the "Warranty void if this label removed" sticker on electronics, except it's placed on the ECU and the engine itself.

Claiming means if someone trophies, any competitor can buy their (i assume) engine for a price specified by the series.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'm skeptical that "simple bolt-ons" are going to bring the MZR up to 100hp/liter output. My guess is that those sealed engines will be substantially reworked compared to production motors.
    Yep... I've read that it is doable when a cam change and an ECU re-flash is added to the full intake and exhaust, but they have not mentioned that for the series (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    A ~$30k race car - especially one in a fully televised, professional series - is cheap. You couldn't touch a competitive World Challenge car for three times that amount.

Still, I'll be looking forward to seeing this series!
    Nope! Unmodified crate motors................
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    So what exactly does this mean?
    Usually a "claiming rule" is that any competitor can "claim" any other competitors engine after the race for a set price. This will elimiate people spending a lot of $$ on an engine to tweek out a few more HP (giving them an advantage) because someone could get to buy it for a set price.

They usually have "sealed" engines that are built to spec provided to everyone.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Nope! Unmodified crate motors................
    In that case I can't wait to see yours on a dyno, Merv...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hey Merv, any update on this? It looks like the schedule and a parts list is up on Mazda Motorsport's site now.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Hey Merv, any update on this? It looks like the schedule and a parts list is up on Mazda Motorsport's site now.
    Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, my original post was a little pre-mature. Sometimes "wants and desires" get a slap in the face by reality, and my face is really red Too many irons in the fire right now. Not enough money right now. Heck, I still don't have my SM ready for this season! Need to get the Granbury house finished and sold, then we'll look at this for the 2007 season.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, my original post was a little pre-mature. Sometimes "wants and desires" get a slap in the face by reality, and my face is really red Too many irons in the fire right now. Not enough money right now. Heck, I still don't have my SM ready for this season! Need to get the Granbury house finished and sold, then we'll look at this for the 2007 season.
    Thats too bad Merv.

On the bright side, it gives me another year to win the lottery so I can be a sponsor for your ride, quit my job, and join your pit crew!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Thats too bad Merv.

On the bright side, it gives me another year to win the lottery so I can be a sponsor for your ride, quit my job, and join your pit crew!

Kewl!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12