Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange gas/exhaust smell lately

Default Strange gas/exhaust smell lately

Lately ive been smelling a strong gas smell after long hot trips. Its not a normal gas smell, but more of a overcarubrated old car exhaust smell. Any idea what this might be??

I read something on Miata.net about running extremely rich can produce this smell, but I dont see how that could have happened just recently with no change in performance.

Im going to pull the plugs & crawl under there when I get a chance to check for a leak, but doesnt smell like a leak.

Anyone have any ideas??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Might want to lay off the beans.

Has it been running cooler than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Has it been running cooler than normal?
    No, not that I can tell anyway.

Only thing thats different is I have not been running the AC lately in the cooler weather, & turn off the recirc. Now that I think about it, this may be why the smell is coming into the cabin, but still ive never smelled anything that strong from the outside before, so something has to be wrong.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Might want to lay off the beans.
    Nice one Titus

Maybe the exhaust gases are blowing back up into the car with you coolie exhaust!?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Maybe the exhaust gases are blowing back up into the car with you coolie exhaust!?
    That's a good possibility since it looks as though the tailpipie doesn't extend completely out of the rear bumper. I would extend it out a bit.
    Merv

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Lately ive been smelling a strong gas smell after long hot trips. Its not a normal gas smell, but more of a overcarubrated old car exhaust smell. Any idea what this might be??

Anyone have any ideas??
    So you only notice it with the car sitting still and not running?

I cut the exhaust like that months ago, dead summer, its only started smelling in the last few weeks with the cooler weather, so I dont think thats it.

After a decently long trip I start smelling it in the cabin, when I park & get out I can smell it pretty far away, not normal exhaust.

I did just change the o2 sensor, but I believe I noticed the smelling a couple of days before that.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Is it stronger in the trunk/back area? Maybe the filler tube is loose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    I did just change the o2 sensor, but I believe I noticed the smelling a couple of days before that.
    Get some Seafoam and see if you have an exhaust leak at the O2 sensor.

Now thats a way to check for exhaust leaks, hadnt thought about that.

Just got to have time, damn moving...

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Is it stronger in the trunk/back area? Maybe the filler tube is loose?
    I thought about that, & hadnt had a chance to check it out, but from what ive observed so far, it seems to be coming from the engine...ish area, & dosent smell like pure liquid gas.

In any event...I need to rule that one out QUICK!

Well, a quick smell around the pre driven car this afternoon revealed no smell at all, driving home from work I barely smelled the gas smell, & only when I was stoped at lights. Park at home & no smell outside, aside from a brief whiff getting out of the car. A quick smell around the engine bay, exhaust, trunk, random parts under the car(not on jacks), I smelled a slight gas smell under the passenger side rear wheel well, not enough to even be revalant, but thats where the fuel filter is, maybee its as simple as a loose hose?

But I wonder why it wasnt making the smell at all on the way hoe loke normal. Could this be the cat going out?? Maybe stinking only when extremely hot??

Is the wife pour flammable liquids on you while you sleep?

When a goes out it has a definite smell. Did you overfill it at the gas station lately? I'd take the time to look at the fuel filter.

I overfilled at a gas station like 3 weeks ago, I would think it has dried up by now, plus wouldnt it stink even when the car was off??

Ok, im stumped...

Went out to the car, smelled all around...nothing. Turned it on & hte exhaust was the exact smell!

After driving it awhile I got home & smelled around & nothing, not even on the side that smelled earlier.

Any ideas??

If it is the exhaust, I know I have a leak where the pipe goes into the muffler, that might be how it gets into the cabin, but why would the exhaust produce this smell so sporatically??

Whatever it is its starting to sound expensive...

If it was me... I'd run it low on gas... throw a tankfull of Chevron gas in it with a bottle of Techron engine cleaner... and if it's still smelling like it's running pig rich, throw a can of seafoam through and do a tune-up on the car...

Those things are all WAY cheaper than trying to throw a new on it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have ran a few bottles of techron in it awhile ago, & did my second seafome tuneup just a week or 2 before this all started...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast