Thread: F1 2006 and beyond

Default F1 2006 and beyond

Ahhhh... back to the qualifying shenanigans of yore, 2006 will see wicked free-for-alls once again with "knockout" qualifying - the fastest 10 drivers will have 20 minutes to set the fast lap starting on race fuel. And farewell to that nitwit single set of tires for qual+full race distance. Yup, it probably put my team in the winner's circle this year, but it sure did make for some crappy wins, losses and otherwise.

By the way... "starting on race fuel" means the cars will be weighed before start of qualifying and refueled to the measured weight. Wonder how many 5 gallon drink bottles we'll hear about next year.

Suzuki has a bid in to field an eleventh team!

Oh, yeah... and there'll be an American driver in the field driving for Squadra Toro Rosso... LONG LIVE MINDARDI!

2008? Scope out the new wing design we can expect to see as early as 2007 along with larger wheels bearing treadless tires. Can I assume this means a little more bling? 30 series maybe? Have the teams gotten tired of the tires rolling off the rims with those 80 series sidewalls and 18 psi? Single tire supplier in the 2008 package as well. Well know by January whether the '08 plan starts in '08 or '07.

Don't forget to mark your calendars, set your Tivos and fire up your V8 (boo, hiss!) engines...

Bahrain 12 March
    Malaysia 19 March
    Australia 2 April
    San Marino 23 April
    Europe 7 May
    Spain 14 May
    Monaco 28 May
    Great Britain 11 June
    Canada 25 June
    United States 2 July
    France 16 July
    Germany 30 July
    Hungary 6 August
    Turkey 27 August
    Italy 10 September
    Belgium 17 September
    Japan 1 October
    China 8 October
    Brazil 22 October (Contract pending)
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I knew they would ditch the one tyre rule at the least. After the US Gran Prix farce, Mindardi said that half the teams would not return unless major changes were made. Sucks that they still went ahead with the engine change. But lets not get too worried about that, I've heard they already got the V8 engines up to the same hp and at higher rpms! near 22k rpms! I can't wait to hear what that sounds like!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Also from what I hear, teams are going to be able to use v-10s that are handicapped. Only the lower funded teams are going to this year, but in the future big budget teams might go that route also.

2006 Driver line-up

Renault:
    Fernando Alonso
    Giancarlo Fisichella

McLaren:
    Kimi Raikkonen
    Juan Pablo Montoya

Ferrari:
    Michael Schumacher
    Felipe Massa

Toyota:
    Ralf Schumacher
    Jarno Trulli

Williams:
    Mark Webber
    Nico Rosberg

Honda:
    Rubens Barrichello
    Jenson Button

Red Bull:
    David Coulthard
    Christian Klien

BMW Sauber:
    Nick Heidfeld
    Jacques Villeneuve

MF1:
    Tiago Monteiro
    Christijan Albers

Toro Rosso:
    Vitantonio Liuzzi
    Scott Speed
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

It'll be fun to watch and see if Rubens can make the Honda motors last the entire race unlike Mr. "I Blow the Motor Every Other Race" Sato. Speaking of, where did he end up?

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    It'll be fun to watch and see if Rubens can make the Honda motors last the entire race unlike Mr. "I Blow the Motor Every Other Race" Sato. Speaking of, where did he end up?
    Mr. "I blow up motors at every race" always sounded a little anxious on the downshift lever to me...

Sato is still in the wings, as the Super Aguri didn't post the required $48 million bond with FIA by the deadline... Unless all ten teams agree to allow them in, we won't likely see much of Sato in 2006.