Thread: Rental Car Autox

Default Rental Car Autox

I've heard this idea bandied about, but wasn't sure if anything ever came of it. This may be too socially irresponsible, but I believe the concept was: we all chip in to rent a bog standard rental car. Then we take turns driving it around an autox course to see who can get the best time.

I suspect most rental contracts have fine print that excludes this sort of behavior , but it sure would be fun!

I've suggested this several times, usually in response to someone's claim that they'd be "just that fast, but only if their car was prepped to the same level".

Funny, but no one has ever taken me up on the offer.

May be a little late for this season anyway, seeing that the last two events of the season are the 12th & 20th of this month.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I think that would be awesome! I would definitely be in.

Some friends and I did it for a Rally cross at COBB a few years back. We go a v-6 mustang since we didnt want to play with our cars in the dirt. The same guys rented a Jaguar for another event and lost a radiator hose coming home.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Some friends and I did it for a Rally cross at COBB a few years back. We go a v-6 mustang since we didnt want to play with our cars in the dirt.
    IIRC, the Mustang had a really cool Contact Paper racing stripe that even covered the license plates and your collective

My Daddy always said, "Keep your nose clean! No matter where you are, someone will know who you are."
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

The bigger issue would be finding a parking lot to do it legally. I think this event would be super cool, but I also think we should do it above-board. I don't want to wind up being in a video that gets passed around the Internet (that sounds bad, doesn't it?).

S.

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    IIRC, the Mustang had a really cool Contact Paper racing stripe that even covered the license plates and your collective

My Daddy always said, "Keep your nose clean! No matter where you are, someone will know who you are."
    Yeah we stopped at Walmart and got some contact paper. I think it had a flower pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The bigger issue would be finding a parking lot to do it legally. I think this event would be super cool, but I also think we should do it above-board. I don't want to wind up being in a video that gets passed around the Internet (that sounds bad, doesn't it?).

S.

Actually we have parking lots around here that let people run AutoXes. I dont think they care if you are running rentals or not. What is the going rate for Mineral Wells again?

What about doing this for the first S2k autocross of the 2006 Season? That way points arent a factor. I would love to do this so I can actually compare my driving with the good guys.

Kevin
    1997 Acura Integra GSR Sedan

Back in the early days of PCA DE's at TWS, guys were notorious for renting 5.0 Mustangs for track cars.......