Thread: Auto Tranny help

Default Auto Tranny help

I picked up my brother's old 92 Nissan King Cab pickup for cheap. Make that REALLY cheap. He wanted to get rid of it and I wanted a MSV so it worked out.

The problem is the auto tranny. It is slow to engauge from a stand still and if you leave it in drive at a stop it will kill the motor after about 30 seconds. When coming to a stop, I slip it into neutral and it's fine. It shifts ok once you're moving too.

With the limited knowledge I have on slushboxes, I'm guessing the torque convertor. How quickly does this need to be fixed? Anyone else have any ideas?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I sent you a PM with my brother's email address... he works for a transmission repair place down in San Marcos.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks.

I'll see what he has to say. :)
    ...and across the line.

How does the fluid look?(Red or Brown) Does it smell burn? Have you changed the fluid and the filter to see if this helps?

All these questions were brought to you by POS Racing!

Per ChannelManiac's brudder:

It probably is suffering from an interal pressure leakage due to hardened
    rubber seals inside the unit. The proper thing to do is have the
    transmission overhauled and replace all the "wear items" inside. Either
    that or just replace it with a dealer unit. I strongly advise against a
    junk yard transmission it's in the junk yard for a reason. It's just a roll
    of the dice.
    ...and across the line.

Dang I think I'd try changing the fluid before I replaced the entire transmission! Yikes! I know on a OTM I had the new transmission flush systems made a tired 400 Turbo Hydromantic shift like new... YMMV...

In case it isn't a rebuild... you might try Lewisville Transmission. We had a pressure switch go bad in our 97 Grand Cherokee and ya know what? Those guys were honest enough to tell us & fix it without cheating us.

55k later (151,000 miles) the transmission did need a rebuild but.... this got us by so we could save some money.

It's hard to find an honest transmission repair place. (Eagle Transmission in Lewisville would NOT fall in that category in my opinion after my dealings with them on a previous Jeep)

My brother just gave you his best guesstimate since it's not in the shop to be torn down and looked at.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I just called an Eagle Transmissions in Plano. Talked to a guy named Joe and he says it sounds like it should be a cheap fix. He told me to bring it by and they will diagnose it for free and know exactely what it needs before any work is done. They also have a good report from the BBB. It sounds like this Eagle Transmission is a good place. I'll keep the Louieville Tranny place in mind as another option. Thanks. :)

BTW, I appreciate your brother's advice and know it's difficult to remotely diagnose any mechanical problems. :)
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Dang I think I'd try changing the fluid before I replaced the entire transmission! Yikes! I know on a OTM I had the new transmission flush systems made a tired 400 Turbo Hydromantic shift like new... YMMV...
    I would thing that could make the problem worse. The dirty tranny fluid can offer enough friction to have the tranny last longer. Clean fluid could induce more slipping if indeed the tranny is dying.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    I would thing that could make the problem worse. The dirty tranny fluid can offer enough friction to have the tranny last longer. Clean fluid could induce more slipping if indeed the tranny is dying.
    With that logic why would you ever change the transmision Fluid & Filter??

Well flushing the transmision & changing the filter has worked for me a couple times, but as I said YMMV!

Check the magnetic drain plug when you change the fluid. See if it looks like puried tranny is attached to it.

I just called an Eagle Transmissions in Plano. Talked to a guy named Joe and he says it sounds like it should be a cheap fix. He told me to bring it by and they will diagnose it for free and know exactely what it needs before any work is done.
    So what did Joe find???

I just called an Eagle Transmissions in Plano. Talked to a guy named Joe and he says it sounds like it should be a cheap fix. He told me to bring it by and they will diagnose it for free and know exactely what it needs before any work is done.
    So what did Joe find???
    I have to wait until I can find time to bring it by. As this is just a "spare" vehicle, I'm not in any hurry. Maybe this weekend. Maybe next.
    ...and across the line.