Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MME Auto-x day

Default MME Auto-x day

Kinda late for this season, but I was thinking maybe next season we could schedule a MME auto-x day where we would get as many Miata's to a local auto-x as possible. Has this been tired before? I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything. (of course searching for miata and autocross doesnt really help) I would appreciate any input on this I can get. Thanks
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Isn't that what we do at most Autocrosses already? How are you thinking we could get greater participation then we already have?? What's the plan?

I was thinking we could schedule it for somtime later in the season, and start planning for it early in the year, so more people can make arrangements. It was just an idea I had today in class when I was supposed to be listening to the teacher. (oops) Kinda random.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I know there have been events before with the outlaws where alot of people came. We already have a ton of people that come to autoX from this board. The idea is to get people outside of that core group to come out and have a HUGE turnout. If we plan ahead enough we could get people to make plans around the event. Maybe have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants too. Although I realise that makes a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I know there have been events before with the outlaws where alot of people came. We already have a ton of people that come to autoX from this board. The idea is to get people outside of that core group to come out and have a HUGE turnout. If we plan ahead enough we could get people to make plans around the event. Maybe have dinner at one of the nearby restaurants too. Although I realise that makes a long day.
    Yeah, there is a ton of people that come out and play, but there are more that don't. I was thinking we should get some of those people out, as well as digging up friends, family, neighbors, etc.(that aren't on the board) with Miata's and having them come out as well. This all started at the MME drag strip night when I was sitting in the stands watching some of the guys go: Spectator #1"Good lord another miata", Spectator #2"Where did they all come from". Kinda made me laugh, and got me to thinking. Thanks for the input, I was just wondering what kind of response I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    This all started at the MME drag strip night when I was sitting in the stands watching some of the guys go: Spectator #1"Good lord another miata", Spectator #2"Where did they all come from". Kinda made me laugh, and got me to thinking. Thanks for the input, I was just wondering what kind of response I would get.
    You'll hear this already at most of the local autocrosses, since we already draw an average of 15-20 Miatas.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    You'll hear this already at most of the local autocrosses, since we already draw an average of 15-20 Miatas.
    Yeah... but what would happen if we rolled in 50 strong... I would show up for that!

Funny... I seem to be much more interested in a attending an autocross if it it has more of a big event feeling. I think it is because it is easier to get exited about something special that you can plan for. Something about the fact that there is an autocross every weekend drains some of the excitement from it. I had every intention of hitting a few autocrosses this season, but it never happened. There was never a feeling of urgency or importance, as there is always another event next weekend. I did make it to the track a few times, as it had a feeling of urgency... better not miss it... this chance doesn't come around every week. I guess I need to make more of an effort to plan for some Autocrosses but it is so easy to say oh well... there is always next weekend. Make me pay $150 2 months in advance and you can bet I would make it.

Well, I'll say it again - there's already a lot of us at just about every event, and we always extend an invitation to the rest of y'all... what are you waiting for?

BTW, this weekend's event is the last one for the next three months! Show up now, or sit on your couch for the rest of the winter and kick yourself for missing the entire '05 season!

Got a sense of urgency now?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Yeah... but what would happen if we rolled in 50 strong... I would show up for that!
    What you!

Holly Smokes! That would be something, and if you brought 3Bean with you that would be a miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Got a sense of urgency now?
    Yeah, but I also have my Mom visiting for California... I don't think she would appreciate me bailing out on her.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What you!

Holly Smokes! That would be something, and if you brought 3Bean with you that would be a miracle!

Bite me Banana boy!

Really... there are maybe 10 guys on the board that are only occasional attendees, and another 10 or 15 that never go but could likely be goated into coming out once. Issuing a challenge to the Outlaws that questioned their driving abilities could gain you another 10 or 15 Miatas.

Don't we already fill most AX events with cars? Just look at the Miata numbers just at S2K events, we always offer an olive branch for those who have never AXed to come and give it a try, and if a newbie shows up we always try and see if we can help.

But we can always put a bigger emphasis on what we already do for next years AX season! If you want do it on a challenge format we can certainly come up with something!

Maybe we could do an MME Test & Tune before the start of the season to give folks a chance to try AX before the regular season kicks in! I'm sure one of the local AX clubs could help us with something along those lines!

Maybe we could do an MME Test & Tune before the start of the season to give folks a chance to try AX before the regular season kicks in! I'm sure one of the local AX clubs could help us with something along those lines!
    That sounds good to me!

That's a kick-@$$ idea

Combine it with some video (in car & out of car) and some instructor ride-alongs and that would be a huge draw.

I have a VHS camcorder & tripod that can be used (and I wouldn't cry if it got wiped out by a spinout) for the out of car video... and hopefully I'll have the engine issues worked out on the Spec by then - I'd love the chance to do something like that BEFORE going out in front of everyone.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Issuing a challenge to the Outlaws that questioned their driving abilities could gain you another 10 or 15 Miatas.
    If it was on a track without cones to dodge.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    If it was on a track without cones to dodge.

I like the test-n-tune idea, but some kind of miata challenge is kinda interesting. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

I don't know if they would be interested but you could ask the S2K folks if they would be willing to host a Miata only event for a small fee. They have all of the gear (timing, cones, etc.) and I think MW is pretty cheap to rent. I would think that you could draw a pretty big crowd if they knew it was a Miata only event especially if it was geared toward the newbie crowd with lots of instruction, etc.

Just a thought - don't even know if the S2K Club would be interested.
    Davo

Sebring Silver '02 S2000

Default ax

Quote Originally Posted by photodavo
    I don't know if they would be interested but you could ask the S2K folks if they would be willing to host a Miata only event for a small fee. They have all of the gear (timing, cones, etc.) and I think MW is pretty cheap to rent. I would think that you could draw a pretty big crowd if they knew it was a Miata only event especially if it was geared toward the newbie crowd with lots of instruction, etc.

Just a thought - don't even know if the S2K Club would be interested.
    This sounds like something i would attend for sure...
    i think this is a really good idea, and if MW doesn't work
    there is an albertsons' near my place and i'm sure they wouldn't mind
    if we draw circles on their parking lots
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Bite me Banana boy!

Really... there are maybe 10 guys on the board that are only occasional attendees, and another 10 or 15 that never go but could likely be goated into coming out once. Issuing a challenge to the Outlaws that questioned their driving abilities could gain you another 10 or 15 Miatas.
    Your kidding right? Issue a challange to the Outlaws, then wipe them up at an event and you will never see them again. Some of you that haven't gone out to an A/X, but yet sit and talk about how fast you are, have a rude awakening coming. The guys here that auto-x are friggen fast! I'm telling you this after racing against them for three years. My car is hands down faster than any of the guys here on the board that autocross, yet I can't catch them. I've talked to other drivers from other clubs, and they all have a deep respect for the Miata drivers we have here. They are untouchable.

Titus, I'm not directing this to you really, but there are some big-time smack talkers here that I'd like to run against just to shut them up. I'm confident I could, yet I'm usually around the middle of the pack at autocross with this bunch. I bet you all know who I'm talking about.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast